400 People Relocated To Houston

Westchase used to be Farmer Bob's (or someone like that) pastureland? I don't consider it sprawl either because I don't think it has much single-family housing. There's Lakeside on one side and Royal Oaks on the other. I've seen a new housing development inside of Westchase, but the houses themselves are on very minimal lots.

Its grown up pretty much without the aid of any major freeways. The Beltway was designed to carry traffic through the suburbs, but not inbound and outbound like the other roads.

If you live in Katy, did you really move to Houston?

No. But that's more Katy people that will get bored with the same-old-same-old, and who will come to Houston to party, drink, spend, and be happy. Out of those, some will decide to relocated into the city. It's all good.

The economy is growing, its just flushing out jobs that are profitable.  Americans are high skilled to the point where its too expensive to hire them.  On the other end of the spectrum there is a class of Americans who don't believe that they have to learn and improve their skills to be a valuable person to hire.  They expect that they actually deserve a job and its waiting for them.

No one deserves a job, everyone needs to earn it.  If your type of job is being outmoded (such as a factory work), then you have to find a new skill to work at to get another job.  People who discover this concept are usually quite sucessful.

Not that you had anything on your mind or something.

:huh:

• 1 year later...
Good job bruce oneal. You would make conservatives across the country proud by working hard to create your own business.

LTAWACS: is it really 27's fault for sprawl? Sprawl exists because of demand and the geography of Houston. If people truly didn't like sprawl, they wouldn't live out there, by the way, the population is increasing at a greater rate in the inner city areas than in the burbs. sprawl is slowing down now that developers have reached a point where people would lonly live so far out. Sprawl is just as organic as the inner city. It grows and changes. The sprawl areas will eventually become the newer urban centers, such as Sugarland and the Woodlands. Also, Houston and Dallas traffic from sprawl is next to nothing compared to New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Atlanta.

i guess sprawl is not bad in and of itself, but the problem is that the job centers are not as spread out as the population. so what happens is that the further and further out people move, the further they have to travel. so you eventually end up with over-extended freeway systems and underserving mass transit.

european cities tend to be denser and have better mass transit. not saying we have to be like london, belgium, or hamburg, but is it so bad to take a look at works and see if it could be emulated here?

European Countries are also much smaller (land size) then America. Their people are skinnier, their cities more compact, their populations smaller, their food portions less, their cars tinier, their houses built closer and smaller, etc

I believe its the natural order of things. We have more land, so we use it. They have less land so they do with what they need.

European Countries are also much smaller (land size) then America. Their people are skinnier, their cities more compact, their populations smaller, their food portions less, their cars tinier, their houses built closer and smaller, etc

I believe its the natural order of things. We have more land, so we use it. They have less land so they do with what they need.

so following your natural order we should be these 300 lb people living in sprawl driving petrol sucking behemoths with no concern about anything.

i suppose we do get what we deserve then.

lawd help us when gasoline hits $4 - $7 per gallon. wonder if we'll be singing the same tunes then?

lawd help us when gasoline hits $4 - $7 per gallon. wonder if we'll be singing the same tunes then?

Lawd help us indeed. I suppose when gas hits that high, people who desire living in the city will live in the city, and those who desire living in the country/far-off suburbs will do so. Natural order of things.

In any case, dont fret.

• 3 weeks later...