FM 2234/Shadow Creek Parkway

I drove thru FM 2234 yesterday and saw all those projects going on in SCR - hotel, schools shopping strips, apartments. Many of them are nearing completion. But the road is still a single lane. Won't that road be another headache by Fall? I know that Fort Bend has a plan to expand it from FM 521 to Fort Bend tollway. Is there any such plans for the other stretch to 288?

I agree with you that the need to widen it is definitely there, and that it will be a serious headache soon.

I was rather surprised to see that the city of Pearland doesn't have anything on their website about it. From what I can find, the only capital projects they list related to 2234 is to extend it eastward to Cullen, and of course to put in feeder roads between it and 518 along 288.

Check Brazoria 2035 plan on the attached link...... 2035 Plan Documents

It shows the project with a 2012 date. I agree it needs to be done as soon as possible.

The list is in the PDF at http://www.2035plan.org/docs/final/Appendi...02007-11-19.pdf

It's identified as a TXDOT project, which might explain some of the timing and delay. Surely we all have heard how cutbacks at TXDOT have caused other area projects (e.g., Cullen Parkway, etc) to be delayed. It would be great to have it done earlier, but that would probably require (oh dreaded phrase!) higher taxes.

/sarcasm

It's already a complete pain, forget waiting until the construction is done. The traffic lights are all extremely long and not "smart", and if you don't start out behind a dump truck, you will be by the time you get where you are going. For that reason forget about washing your car, trucks will make sure the road has a fresh coat of dirt/mud every day. And all so they can finish that Taco Bell everyone is excited about. Yeah, I love having to work down there. I avoid 2234 like the plague.

The list is in the PDF at http://www.2035plan.org/docs/final/Appendi...02007-11-19.pdf

It's identified as a TXDOT project, which might explain some of the timing and delay. Surely we all have heard how cutbacks at TXDOT have caused other area projects (e.g., Cullen Parkway, etc) to be delayed. It would be great to have it done earlier, but that would probably require (oh dreaded phrase!) higher taxes.

/sarcasm

Many thanks for this document. I have to agree that those 2012/2023 dates are just not realistic. Those projects better move up the list fast.

Meanwhile I see that SH35 will be a tollway when they finally do it. Have we seen the end of freeways in Houston? Where are we? New York?

It's already a complete pain, forget waiting until the construction is done. The traffic lights are all extremely long and not "smart", and if you don't start out behind a dump truck, you will be by the time you get where you are going. For that reason forget about washing your car, trucks will make sure the road has a fresh coat of dirt/mud every day.

Well said. That's what I faced the other day.

Many thanks for this document. I have to agree that those 2012/2023 dates are just not realistic. Those projects better move up the list fast.

Meanwhile I see that SH35 will be a tollway when they finally do it. Have we seen the end of freeways in Houston? Where are we? New York?

I was just saying to the wife the other day, that we will be saying Remember back when freeways were free?

• 1 month later...

There's been some restriping on 2234 between Kingsley and Kirby. Looks like they have added a center left-turn lane so that westbound traffic will be able to access the new Alexan apartments and eastbound traffic will be able to access various stuff on the north side of the road.

Hope they take this on down to the section betweem Kirby and 288. That would make it easier to get to Buc-ee's and the UPS Store when you're headed east.

Have any of you driven on Kingsley north of 2234 since Ike hit? I'm talking about where it narrows and becomes Old Alvin School Rd. There are still fallen trees blocking the southbound lane. I can't believe they haven't been cleared yet. Everybody be careful there, especially at night.

This isn't really the right thread for this comment, but I didn't want to start a new one, for what I hope is a temporary road hazard.

Have any of you driven on Kingsley north of 2234 since Ike hit? I'm talking about where it narrows and becomes Old Alvin School Rd. There are still fallen trees blocking the southbound lane. I can't believe they haven't been cleared yet. Everybody be careful there, especially at night.

This isn't really the right thread for this comment, but I didn't want to start a new one, for what I hope is a temporary road hazard.

Drove in the morning a couple of times last week. You are right, I never thought about how dangerous it could be at night. Fortunately most of the old houses in that area seem to have done quite well.

On another topic, also not to start another thread, I was surprised how quickly Silverlake had people working on their trees & landscape. (I played Southwick wednesday after the storm and they were already fixing the neighborhood). I saw some crews on SCR only until late last week and yesterday there were still a bunch of trees leaning and many laying on the ground.

• The title was changed to FM 2234/Shadow Creek Parkway

Archived