Home Brewing In Houston

MovingSoon

Anyone brews their beer on this board? How do you guys do it in summer month. My house is 76-80 which is probably too hight for most ales. Any tips to deal with that? Or do you brew some varieties that are Ok with high temperature for fermentation?

and we can make this topic to discuss other homebrewing issues...

I have been brewing for years now, either here or in Louisiana so same weather. We haven't had a problem with our ales. In fact that's all we make because we don't have any time of year with consistent 50 degree temps and I don't have a refrigerator I can set that high for lagering.

We use a glass 6.5 gallon carboy, and after pitching we usually put it back in its box and stick it in a closet, in the coolest one available, downstairs usually. At most it gets to 77 in my place during the day, usually it's closer to 70. The guy I brew with keeps his place a bit warmer, but it never affected yeast performance. It could be all about the yeast that we use, we always use White Labs liquid yeasts. We have a few favorites, but have never had an ale get stuck fermenting. Typically the slightly higher temp makes it haul ass through the primary fermentation, which is a good thing. At its height you can hear air whizzing out of the top from the other room.

When I read about fermentation it seems to some that it's a delicate procedure at times, with risks of contamination and stuck fermentation. We just haven't experienced that, maybe due to good sanitation habits. In fact, we took a 10 day road trip to the west coast, and we brewed in the redwood forest. We just stuck the fermenter in the back of the car, and it did its business while we drove all the way from northern California back to Houston. It got bumped around in the car and the temperatures were all up and down, as we went from 40s in CA through 80s in NM and TX. It did fine, in fact it was one of our best beers.

Anyone brews their beer on this board? How do you guys do it in summer month. My house is 76-80 which is probably too hight for most ales. Any tips to deal with that? Or do you brew some varieties that are Ok with high temperature for fermentation?

and we can make this topic to discuss other homebrewing issues...

I often wonder what or if this tastes as good as a real beer? When I used to travel to wine country in N California most of our clients made their own. They were mostly farm folks though.

Its sold in a kit right? Can you cop a buzz on it?

I often wonder what or if this tastes as good as a real beer? When I used to travel to wine country in N California most of our clients made their own. They were mostly farm folks though.

Its sold in a kit right? Can you cop a buzz on it?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously? You can make beer as good or better, or much worse than you find in any store. Depends on the ingredients and brewers. Alcohol % depends on style. We have made anywhere between 4% and 13% beer.

Kit!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!!!???? Not over my dead body. Milled grains and original recipes only here. Kits are for cheap crappy pasta dishes. Bah!

• The title was changed to Home Brewing In Houston