houston median home price increases, sales down

musicman

jfg_0716_areasWEB.jpg

While home prices in other big cities continue to take their lumps, the Houston area is holding its own.

The median home price reached a high point in June, rising 1.3 percent to a record $162,000, according to the Houston Association of Realtors.

Compare that to the results of a recent survey, which showed price declines in all 20 metropolitan areas it tracks.

"We're not in a fire-sale kind of market," said Steve Barnes, president and chief operating officer for the Houston region of Coldwell Banker United, Realtors. "People don't have to sell at any price."

There was one sour note, according to the Realtors: Sales fell for the 10th month in a row.

article

Edited by musicman

median prices rising while number of sales fall leads me to believe it's more a mental thing in our market. People are afraid to list their homes right now because they think they market is so terrible.

I have buyers looking for single family properties inside the loop and we can't find anything. As soon as a well priced home comes on the market in places like Oak Forest, multiple offers come in the first few days.

This is why I laugh when people try to claim it's such a great buyers market! I wish! :)