Enclave At Southern Trails In Pearland

I recently moved to Enclave at Southern Trails. My family and I were attracted to the main part of ST but it was just out of our price range. We bought in Enclave because of its association with ST. At the same time, there are some design features that make us feel like the Red-headed stepchild.

First, the entrance is TOTALY different than ST. They also installed amber street lamps rather than the white bulbs like ST. Can we do anything about this? My fear is that one day, Enclave gets split from ST and we get left in the dust.

The people are great in the Enclave and the homes are beautiful. Their obviously not as large as ST, but the craftsmanship is still there. MY POINT is that if the Enclave is supposedly a section of Souther Trails, then why couldn't the designers make it feel more like Southern Trails?

For those of you in ST, having a large price range of homes in your community actually improves the value of ALL properties!!!! Please welcome Enclave with open arms. We are all one big community! If you want to frown, frown on SCR!!! ha ha :D

Hello neighbor! ^_^ I have met many nice people who live in the enclave. In fact, from what I can tell the folks there seem to be putting forth more effort to form a community at ST than those of us in the main sections. For example, look at Chris and Cathy Workman, who have organized and promoted several BBQs at the rec center.

Getting changes made to your streetlights and entrance would be something our HOA (which is PCMI ) would need to initiate. From what I can tell by talking to our neighbors, no 'requests' like these are being considered right now by them. Don't feel bad, you are not being ignored just because you live in the enclave. Residents in the main section of ST are having requests like these denied too.

I have discussed this at length with my neighbors. Here is what we speculate. Currently there are just not enough of us living in ST (and paying the HOA dues) to take control of our own destiny, so to speak. We pretty much have to accept what Ashton Woods (the ST developer) and PCMI are doing. Hopefully, that will all change in the years ahead, as all parts of ST grows. I've heard that once more people move in we can get more control of the HOA.

There is supposedly an HOA meeting that will be held sometime later this summer, where we can learn more. Some of what I've related to you above came from the discussion at last year's meeting. I wasn't an ST resident then, but I heard all about it.

Hello neighbor! ^_^ I have met many nice people who live in the enclave. In fact, from what I can tell the folks there seem to be putting forth more effort to form a community at ST than those of us in the main sections. For example, look at Chris and Cathy Workman, who have organized and promoted several BBQs at the rec center.

Getting changes made to your streetlights and entrance would be something our HOA (which is PCMI ) would need to initiate. From what I can tell by talking to our neighbors, no 'requests' like these are being considered right now by them. Don't feel bad, you are not being ignored just because you live in the enclave. Residents in the main section of ST are having requests like these denied too.

I have discussed this at length with my neighbors. Here is what we speculate. Currently there are just not enough of us living in ST (and paying the HOA dues) to take control of our own destiny, so to speak. We pretty much have to accept what Ashton Woods (the ST developer) and PCMI are doing. Hopefully, that will all change in the years ahead, as all parts of ST grows. I've heard that once more people move in we can get more control of the HOA.

There is supposedly an HOA meeting that will be held sometime later this summer, where we can learn more. Some of what I've related to you above came from the discussion at last year's meeting. I wasn't an ST resident then, but I heard all about it.

Thanks for the encouraging words. One important thing that I forgot to mention is that the main part of ST is being developed/controlled by Ashton Woods while the Enclave is soley Newmark. I wonder if Newmark HAD to change the design of the community so it wouldn't "steal" design flares from Ashton Woods. It's something to think about.

Oh well, I guess I'll be patient untill both communities are finished. Once the homeowners get more control of the HOA, you'll see me on th commitee. I will strive to protect our investments!

I didn't realize that Newmark controlled the infrastructure at the enclave. The fact that the two sections are controlled by two different builders seems to just beg for discrepancies to crop up (the streetlights, for instance), since the builders will undoubtedly use different trades (subcontractors). This is something we can ask about at the HOA meeting, though.

THE AMBER LIGHTS ARE HISTORY!!!

Two days ago, I e-mailed the HOA concerning the segregation of the Enclave. I spoke in particular about the lights as well as the different architectural flares of the entrance. Well, this morning, I woke up to bright white lights all through the community! Not only does the white lights make us feel part of ST, but we feel safer at night. The amber lights were just too dark. One point- HOA!!!

THE AMBER LIGHTS ARE HISTORY!!!

Two days ago, I e-mailed the HOA concerning the segregation of the Enclave. I spoke in particular about the lights as well as the different architectural flares of the entrance. Well, this morning, I woke up to bright white lights all through the community! Not only does the white lights make us feel part of ST, but we feel safer at night. The amber lights were just too dark. One point- HOA!!!

In the words of Darth Vader: "Impressive....most impressive". I am happy I was wrong about their responsiveness.

You are definitely someone we want on our HOA board! :D

• 5 weeks later...

I took a long drive through the Enclave yesterday. This is one subdivision that is experiencing good growth. There are many homes under construction, from both Newmark and Trophy, and most already had SOLD signs.

The new streets stretching west inside the Enclave are almost done, and look to be just about ready for lot surveys. It looks like there will be a very nice second entrance/exit into the Enclave where Windward Bay will cross 518 - when the 518 expansion westward is completed. This entrance looks like it will be landscaped similar to the main entrance to Southern Trails east of here, at the intersection of Southern Trails Drive, 518 and Half Moon Bay. It seems logical that when this entrance at Winward Bay opens up, it will also connect over 518 into Shadowcreek Ranch.

I took a long drive through the Enclave yesterday. This is one subdivision that is experiencing good growth. There are many homes under construction, from both Newmark and Trophy, and most already had SOLD signs.

The new streets stretching west inside the Enclave are almost done, and look to be just about ready for lot surveys. It looks like there will be a very nice second entrance/exit into the Enclave where Windward Bay will cross 518 - when the 518 expansion westward is completed. This entrance looks like it will be landscaped similar to the main entrance to Southern Trails east of here, at the intersection of Southern Trails Drive, 518 and Half Moon Bay. It seems logical that when this entrance at Winward Bay opens up, it will also connect over 518 into Shadowcreek Ranch.

From what I'm seeing on HAR.com, prices of homes in the Enclave have gone up; not surprising given the current market and lending situation. I think that's probably a good thing for the Enclave, and probably great for folks already living there.

• 7 months later...

There is a breaking news event that Newmark Homes and Trophy Homes (both owned by TOUSA) will be closing up operations in Texas. News items like this one have been surfacing this week.

Since Newmark and Trophy were the sole builders in the Enclave section of Southern Trails, this most likely will put the breaks on the Enclave's growth.

Sources from inside Newmark and from without are telling me that the company is actively soliciting for a buyer, and hopes to transition their properties to the new buyer as quickly as possible, in order to avoid delays and stagnation at its many subdivisions in the GHA. That all sounds good, but we'll see what transpires.

• 4 weeks later...

There are now functioning streetlights throughout the Enclave, even on the far west edge, where the streets are empty. From a security standpoint, this is good - especially since the second entrance at Windward Bay and 518 is probably going to be opened in a few months.

Sketching reports continue about the status of Trophy and Newmark here. Trophy seems done, but some reports suggest Newmark is still building, even while they are on the market.

• 1 month later...

The official news story of the sale of Newmark to local Houston investors came out Monday. Here is a link to it:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/06/15/daily8.html

Bottom line: it's good news, Newmark is not dead in Houston (although it may be in other Texas cities). The Newmark name will be carried on here. Great news for the Enclave and Southern Trails in general!

• The title was changed to Enclave At Southern Trails In Pearland

Archived