Commute From The Woodlands To Downtown?

Observer

My commute time varies, altho I usually leave at about 7:30-7:45AM and leave in the evening 5:00-5:45PM. These are peak times and would explain why it may take a bit longer than if I left at say 6:30 AM.

In the evenings, I have noticed a big difference if I leave at 5:15 vs. 6:15. If I left at 6:15 I'd be home before 7 myself.

I leave the house at 5am typically and return home at 6pm. I work hourly, so I don't care. I have found that the freeway speeds at 5am vs. 6:30am are about the same, but it's much scarier during the later times as there are more cars. I typically am going 80 all the way and getting passed up a lot. So, I leave earlier and have a much more pleasant commute.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Observer, one thing that someone mentioned that is very significant...don't assume you'll be working downtown. I've lived inside the loop near the galleria for 6+ years, and I've never had a job inside the beltway. I worked at Compaq (pre-merger) off 249, a small company in Friendswood off I-45S, and now I commute 40 miles to the Woodlands. All of my commutes were 25+ miles. I would say if you live within the 610 loop, you can't go wrong. All the suburban workplaces would be 30 - 60 minutes away. I'd imagine it would be much tougher to commute from the burbs to downtown, or from the burbs to another burb.

Oh, and the Woodlands is fake :) That doesn't stop my wife from wanting to move there. The fact of the matter is, Houston is fairly jacked for families. The homes in nice areas with good schools are expensive, so most young families can't afford them. The neighborhoods in the hood wouldn't be so bad, if it wasn't for the lack of care, and the crappy schools. Coming from the Northeast (I'm from Staten Island myself) any house you buy here is an improvement over what you'll get there. Yeah, it'll likely look just the house across the street, and the one next door too. Everything involves a tradeoff.

You're on the right track picking a neighborhood you like. That's more important then the house itself.

Yeah, it'll likely look just the house across the street, and the one

next door too.  Everything involves a tradeoff.

LOL. :D

Thanks for the info.

If I may ask, how was it moving across country? Did you just call

Mayflower movers and that was it?

I'd imagine we'll have to do the following:

1) Find an apartment first, before we buy a home.

2) Call a reliable moving company who go cross country.

3) Somehow drive down to the apartment (3+ days) before the truck full of our stuff arrives at the apartment.

4) Find a house.

5) Get another moving company to move our stuff from the apartment to the house.

This seems like somewhat of a headache. Did you do something similar?

LOL.  :D

Thanks for the info.

If I may ask, how was it moving across country?  Did you just call

Mayflower movers and that was it?

I'd imagine we'll have to do the following:

1) Find an apartment first, before we buy a home.

2) Call a reliable moving company who go cross country.

3) Somehow drive down to the apartment (3+ days) before the truck full of our stuff arrives at the apartment.

4) Find a house.

5) Get another moving company to move our stuff from the apartment to the house.

This seems like somewhat of a headache.  Did you do something similar?

Actually, I moved down here in '95 to go to college, so I didn't have to move anything. Many apartments have a clause in their contract that if you're buying a house, you can break the lease without penalty. I wouldn't worry too much about finding a place to live. There's plenty of housing stock. This would be the perfect opportunity to get rid of any junk you may be hanging on to.

Observer, one thing that someone mentioned that is very significant...don't assume you'll be working downtown.  I've lived inside the loop near the galleria for 6+ years, and I've never had a job inside the beltway.  I worked at Compaq (pre-merger) off 249, a small company in Friendswood off I-45S, and now I commute 40 miles to the Woodlands.  All of my commutes were 25+ miles.  I would say if you live within the 610 loop, you can't go wrong.  All the suburban workplaces would be 30 - 60 minutes away.  I'd imagine it would be much tougher to commute from the burbs to downtown, or from the burbs to another burb.

You're on the right track picking a neighborhood you like.  That's more important then the house itself.

I could not agree more with this post. In my years here, I've worked in 5th Ward, The Woodlands (twice), 249/1960 area, I-10/Dairy Ashford, Westheimer at the Beltway, and now finally at The Galleria. There is no neighborhood near all of those places that could have been super convenient for a commute.

Thanks much for the links, I'll look into those developments!

Out of curiosity, since you live just about as far from downtown

as the Woodlands, why did you pass up living in the Woodlands?

Hey Observer:

It wasn't so much that we "passed" on The Woodlands as much as we just fell in love with the house we got. The previous owner basically ate the cost of a new $30K pool that was one-of-a kind. We narrowed our search down to about 3 neighborhoods (Imperial Oaks, Woodlands, and Legends Ranch) and just happened to find the right house at the right price in Imperial Oaks. And our HOA fees are significantly less, but that's just a bonus not what made the decision for us. The Woodlands does have more amenities, but Imp. Oaks has everything we need (clubohouse, tennis courts, etc.) One thing Imperial Oaks does have over the Woodlands IMO is access to 45 and Hardy Toll Road. I'm to either in 5 minutes, but I do happen to live near the front entrance which helps...

I have a buddy moving down from Dallas and they looked in similiar areas and ended up doing a build job on a lake in Legends Ranch.

There are lots of choices in the area. I think getting an apt. first and then making a decision is a smart move.

Actually, I moved down here in '95 to go to college, so I didn't have to move anything.  Many apartments have a clause in their contract that if you're buying a house, you can break the lease without penalty.  I wouldn't worry too much about finding a place to live.  There's plenty of housing stock.  This would be the perfect opportunity to get rid of any junk you may be hanging on to.

We have had to do this before and although yes it is true - when you purchase a new home you usually do not have to pay a reletting fee or other penalites for breaking your lease - but you WILL have to pay back any move-in specials such as "first month free" or whatever. Just something to be prepared for.

• The title was changed to Commute From The Woodlands To Downtown?