3506 Glen Arbor - J Krakower

Willowisp

This house was obviously very important to the Barvin's. Not many people mention their house in their death notice.

Marcia Barvin, founder of the realty firm, Marcia Barvin and Associates, died on Thursday, April 17th, 2008. A native of Dallas, Marcia moved to Houston with her husband and budding family in 1950. Influenced by contemporary architecture, Marcia worked with an architect to design a house based on Frank Lloyd Wright

My wife and I really enjoyed looking at this house today. I think with a few cosmetic changes, such as different paint colors instead of the gray that was used through out, getting rid of the white tile in the bedrooms, and changing the backsplash tile in the kitchen, this house would really stand out. Hopefully the right buyer will find the house and make it great.

The project number on the floor plans for 3506 Glen Arbor was 54-15. That probably means this was the 15th project Joseph Krakower had in 1954. The AIA guide says Herb Greene was Krakower's designer between 1954 and 1957. Herb Greene was a student of Bruce Goff and evidently was employed by Krakower again in 1960 when he supervised the construction of the Goff designed house at 323 Tynebrook Lane.

The project number on the floor plans for 3506 Glen Arbor was 54-15. That probably means this was the 15th project Joseph Krakower had in 1954. The AIA guide says Herb Greene was Krakower's designer between 1954 and 1957. Herb Greene was a student of Bruce Goff and evidently was employed by Krakower again in 1960 when he supervised the construction of the Goff designed house at 323 Tynebrook Lane.

I've talked with Herb Greene via email several times. He told me that he worked for Joseph Krakower from 1955-1959. That's consistent with his built work, including the Folloder house in 58' and the other projects of that time. He was gone before Krakower did the Jewish Building in the medical center in 1960. Plus, as a designer, this house has none of the attributes that Greene would be come known for. He said he did not work on the Davidson house on Maroneal, and that was later than this one.

I was looking through the seller's disclosure notice I picked up at the open house and noticed that this house and property has flooded at some point in time. They just checked the box for it but did not elaborate. I wonder if this has something to do with the non-original tile in the kitchen and bedrooms? Anybody got any ideas on when it might have flooded?

I was looking through the seller's disclosure notice I picked up at the open house and noticed that this house and property has flooded at some point in time. They just checked the box for it but did not elaborate. I wonder if this has something to do with the non-original tile in the kitchen and bedrooms? Anybody got any ideas on when it might have flooded?

It flooded during Tropical Storm Alison. Mark Barvin said that his mother put about $60,000 into fixing the damage. It looks like its still in great shape.

And he made it sound like the non-original tile had already been in place for awhile before 2000, but I could be wrong.

Other non original things were that they had moved the master bedroom to the back of the house and turned one of the small bedrooms into an office. I liked the master in the back, but felt the office room and other bedrooms weren't quite right and needed some rearranging to make more sense. And the flooring that wasn't original needed replacing in my opinion.

But that wall of glass!

I believe this house is open again this Sunday if you can make it there on your way or on the way back from the "Glenbrook Valley Festival".

We will also hold it open on July 27th as a mod of the month!

Jason

It flooded during Tropical Storm Alison. Mark Barvin said that his mother put about $60,000 into fixing the damage. It looks like its still in great shape.

Archived