I-69/Trans-Texas Corridor

The first round of I-69 Trans-Texas Corridor studies are underway and will reach the Houston area soon.

The maps are online. Here is the Houston area study map

http://www.i69corridorstudy.com/global/new...ap3-7-18-05.pdf

Index to all maps

http://www.i69corridorstudy.com/global/press_room/

Observations

* The north and west Grand Parkway is totally independent of I-69. It looks like it is still possible the south Grand Parkway could become part of I-69.

* The Houston bypass route goes way north of Houston in the vicinity of Navasota, Huntsville, and Lufkin. However, the west alignment could be as close as between Katy and Brookshire. That could be attractive to real estate interests looking to urbanize that area.

* If the purpose of I-69 is to support trade, then I think the corridor (coming from South Texas) should come into Houston on the south side to provide access to the ports. It would roughly follow the south Grand Parkway, then follow SH 146 north through Baytown and follow the study alignment paralleling US 59.

* I've said all along that upgrading existing routes is the most cost effective way of meeting future needs. I don't see anything in these maps to change my mind. In fact, I just can't see the logic of roughly paralleling existing routes in areas where traffic counts are very low, such as south of Victoria and north of Nacogdoches.

* I'll be surprised if any of the project moves forward as a Trans-Texas Corridor. At least the I-35 corridor between Austin and DFW can be somewhat justified based on traffic counts, but you can't say that for the I-69 corridor.

I aggree with you last statement. It seems like the I-69 corridor is more about promoting a truck route than relief of interstate traffic.

This is similar to the I-49 corridor. I Louisisana, the state needed a intrastate freeway and push forward with there portion of the I-49 highway.

Arkansas and Missouri are pushing forward to get there portions built so it can tap into the New Orleans Port. I -69 will also cross on the South side of Shreveport for a connection to the Houston Port and down to Mexico.

Of course, I don't think it is that bad to build these projects for anticipated truck traffic since truck move most of the goods in our economy.

Of course, I don't think it is that bad to build these projects for anticipated truck traffic since truck move most of the goods in our economy.

It also means we won't have to put up with slow moving trucks in the left lane of traffic on I-10.

--------

All for "No Trucks in this Lane" signs. :D

news about the I-69 meeting last night

From the story:

"It will run 35 miles north to south, fracturing the county in two. It will take more than 5,000 acres away from private property owners and put it in the state's hands. It will remove 5,000 acres from county and school tax rolls. It will expose Waller County residents to increased polution and to hazardous cargoes."

Those pigs produce some of the finest pork barbeque you'll ever taste. I'm getting homesick just thinking about it.

BTW, North Carolina also has some of the best freeway landscaping you'll ever see, as well. Google North Carolina highways and look at some of the pics. Amazing.

Many states have policies about the 4 lane road being close to all residents. It doesn't mean that these roads will be freeways. I know Lousisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas have this policy. All three states are in the process of upgrading there road network. It's been great for commerce and intrastate business.

• 2 years later...
Based upon the following reports, I-69/Trans-Texas Corridor will be re-routed in Houston through 610 or GrandParkway, any thoughts on the possiblities?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/reales...ds/5829945.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/for...ws/5856255.html

Thank for sharing the update.

Report to merge with the existing thread here, or one of the many others that I am sure we have already.

Based upon the following reports, I-69/Trans-Texas Corridor will be re-routed in Houston through 610 or GrandParkway, any thoughts on the possiblities?

I'd like to see it routed along the eastern alignment of the Grand Parkway, actually, to speed up development of the Parkway in that stretch. The western portion seems like it'll get developed pretty quickly with or without it being an Interstate, and a route along US 59 wouldn't actually do much to bring federal funding into our area at all.

The winnners of the bid were announced late yesterday (Zachry). According to the report, they recevied the nod based on their financing plan for the project. Of course there are no details of that financing plan (tolls), but there ya go.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/5859163.html

Edited by crunchtastic