Another asbestos question...

My rickety old one-car garage is on its last legs. If I tear it down, there's asbestos siding on the sides and back to get rid of.

If you were demo'ing this structure, how would you handle the asbestos disposal?

Any referrals to demo companies that do this? Ballpark figure on cost per sq. ft.?

Thanks for your input!

sounds like a friend's. she had a framer bring it back to life by working on the studs from the inside.

Sadly, my garage is too far gone for that. The non-reinforced slab is cracked and warped. Rot and termite damage is extensive. Also, it's too small for anything except a Mini-Cooper.

the SECOND you say asbestos its going to cost you a FORTUNE. Just get a demo permit, and call up joe blow demo.

Sadly, my garage is too far gone for that. The non-reinforced slab is cracked and warped. Rot and termite damage is extensive. Also, it's too small for anything except a Mini-Cooper.

the SECOND you say asbestos its going to cost you a FORTUNE. Just get a demo permit, and call up joe blow demo.

You do that, you're liable to open yourself up to some grief. Particularly if the Demo company realizes you're putting their people in a hazardous situation. Just get the right people to do the job and spare yourself the hassle.

Man, I have the same situation with my old home. Nice little detached garage built 50 years ago, but no rebar in the slab. The floor has a crack down the middle that I could stick my thumb in.

There are several good demo contractors that can handle this. Just let them know that you suspect there is asbestos siding, but you believe the lead paint is protecting them from exposure.

I'd budget about $3-4 per foot, depending on the slab thickness, ect.

PM me and I'll give you a guy that can do it cheaper than the bigger companies.

Archived