Recommendations For A Gym In The Heights Area?

Anyone know of a good gym in/around the Heights? We have a 6 month old so no meat market. We checked out the YMCA on 34th, which isn't too far and seems nice, it's just a little small. We're contemplating a city-wide Y membership and I wanted to make sure there weren't any other obvious, better choices out there.

Thanks for the help!

I go to the Houston Gym right off of Durham and I-10. Seems to be popular for the Heights folk because I'll usually work out and then find the same people buying groceries at the Kroger's on 11th. It's small, so you won't find the nice amenities at the suburban gyms like Lifetime or LA Fitness. There's also no pool. But the staff are all very friendly and I love their classes!

I am a member at the YMCA on 34th and it's okay. It's about a mile from my house, so it's convenient, but I'm not a big fan. This time of year, summer, is the worst. The place is crawling with kids. I have nothing against kids, I like kids, but seriously, they're everywhere.

Trying to work out there after work is a waste of time. The staff does a poor job of keeping children out of the weight room. I shouldn't have to wait my turn while an 11 year old finishes his reps. I know that the YMCA is a family place, but that doesn't mean drop your child off on the way to work and pick them up on the way home. If they are going to allow people to do that they need to have the staff available to supervise.

The place is small and I have shown up and left immediately because there was not a single treadmill or machine open. They replaced the cardio equipment about a year ago, but there are still usually 2 or 3 machines that are out of order. Their weight room equipment is in need of repair.

I have considered joining the Balley's at Shepherd and Garden Oaks but it looks small and crappy too, not much of an upgrade. I have also considered joining the new LA Fitness at I-10 and Silber but it's not the easiest place to get to with I-10 as screwed up as it is.

Yeah we checked out Bally's and the employees were so used car salesmen that we just left because they turned us off. And it wasn't very new or nice at all. I love sitting there and staring at the sales people, saying nothing. Just let them dig deeper and deeper. Then make some stupid cheap offer, and when they say they'll have to talk to their manager blah blah blah, very amusing when you know you aren't going to buy anything from them.

The Y on 34th is very small. We're doing a 2 week guest thingy. I went yesterday after work and didn't have much trouble getting on weights when I wanted, but damn is it cramped. The entire weights section is literally as big as my living room dining room, and my house isn't that big (open floor plan though). I do like that it's kid oriented. My wife can go during the day when it's not that crowded, and the pool seems nice enough. I think what we might do is get a city-wide membership, and just go to 34th when it's convenient, but when we have a little time take advantage of some of the bigger ones like Augusta or Stella Link.

I'm a newbie here (to the forum and the hiehgts area in general) but I like the LA Fitness off Silber. I was in suburbia for awhile before I moved to the area and I like to swim and my only real choice was a local Bally's. My experience mirrors what you saw, they are used car salesman pushing an inferior product (old facilities and equipment) for a premium price (much more than their competitors) and they try to lock you into long term contracts. I like the Y but I can't name one I've been to that has an indoor pool, for me that matters as it's my primary workout and I like to workout year round. Even in Houston I think it's usually too chilly to swim outside in December.

I don't have kids but I know LA Fitness has a kids club for kids 3 months to 12 years old where they will be watched, have activities etc... while you workout. I don't have too much trouble getting there as I take the Washington Exit off I-10 to Old Katy and then down the I-10 feeder. Also LA Fitness price wise is a good deal, very new facilities, the main plan is month to month (you can quit anytime without penalty) and you can use any LA Fitness facility in the state (they also have other plans for any LA Fitness in the country but I personally don't travel that much). I don't use the weight facilities much but the salesman (so take this for what it's worth....) told me the facility at Silber is one of the largest in Texas.

The YMCA on Waugh and Memorial is the old YWCA building and from what I recall, isnt supposed to be renovated until sometime near 2010...

I go to 24HourFitness and enjoy it. If you hit the off times its usually not crowded and they have a lot of good classes. They are just opening one on Elgin and Louisianna that should be pretty nice. Its got child care and the like with an indoor pool and bball courts. The price is a bit steep right now BUT you can always haggle with the sales people and get a better deal. I've got all access for Super Sports and down and only pay $32 a month (I think you can find cheaper too)... Worth a shot.

Oh and whoever was looking for an indoor pool with the Y... The one downtown has one, as well as and indoor and outdoor track. Although the building is a bit worse for wear. Also, I think the one thats supposed to be opening in 2010 has one too.

Just my .02...

D

... I like the Y but I can't name one I've been to that has an indoor pool, for me that matters as it's my primary workout and I like to workout year round. ...

just btw.. The downtown Y has an indoor pool.. no place to drop the kids for a couple of hours while working out unfortunately..

• The title was changed to Recommendations For A Gym In The Heights Area?

Archived