My work spouse and I ate at Nyonya Grill yesterday. It's at 5201 Highway 6, a little ways southeast of 59. They have a lunch buffet/grill thing where you pick out the ingredients you want and a guy cooks it for you. My buddy had that and loved it because it contained exactly the ingredients he wanted. That seemed a little too much like cooking my own food, and I generally want restaurants to pick the ingredients for me, so I asked the waitress what was good. She gave me Beef Rendang Rice, which was exquisite. The internet says that's chunks of beef boiled in coconut milk and spices until the coconut milk reduces and the beef starts frying. What remains is saturated with yummy fatness and flavor.

They have scrolls hanging on the wall describing the history of ethnic Chinese in Malaysia. Apparently, the restaurant serves "peranakan" cuisine. It's yet another example of the potential glory of anonymous strip centers. Out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by dry cleaners and fast food chains, you can find delicious food from a small community on the other side of the world.

Memebag says check it out.

My work spouse and I ate at Nyonya Grill yesterday. It's at 5201 Highway 6, a little ways southeast of 59. They have a lunch buffet/grill thing where you pick out the ingredients you want and a guy cooks it for you. My buddy had that and loved it because it contained exactly the ingredients he wanted. That seemed a little too much like cooking my own food, and I generally want restaurants to pick the ingredients for me, so I asked the waitress what was good. She gave me Beef Rendang Rice, which was exquisite. The internet says that's chunks of beef boiled in coconut milk and spices until the coconut milk reduces and the beef starts frying. What remains is saturated with yummy fatness and flavor.

They have scrolls hanging on the wall describing the history of ethnic Chinese in Malaysia. Apparently, the restaurant serves "peranakan" cuisine. It's yet another example of the potential glory of anonymous strip centers. Out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by dry cleaners and fast food chains, you can find delicious food from a small community on the other side of the world.

Memebag says check it out.

Seen it.... Never thought about trying it. Now I will.

Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the heads up. I really liked the roti canai - puffy/fluffy crispy Indian pancakes with curry dipping sauce. Unfortunately unlike chips and salsa at a Mexican place you don't get free refills when you polish off an order.

I wasn't that impressed with the Rendang - not bad just not 'Wow,' but I'll be back to try other things.

Archived