West Alabama/South Shepherd and Houston's unzoned greatness

jfre81

This was about 3pm on May 30, more recent than the last one and it's much warmer outside. That's not why this is short - I forgot the sunscreen and I didn't want a sunburn. I can deal with the heat. The daytime weather here has been excellent the last few months.

This was totally on a whim as I just happened to be in the area with the camera with some time to kill, but it turns out this spot well demonstrates how Houston gets by without conventional zoning laws.

a013.jpg

This is the intersection of Kipling and Huldy, just east of S. Shepherd and north of W. Alabama.

a014.jpg

a015.jpg

a016.jpg

Businesses and old four-plexes sharing blocks.

a017.jpg

a019.jpg

People living here don't have it all bad - they don't have to drive to the grocery store if they don't want to. There's a Randall's to the right (north) of Harold St. as seen here. And it actually doesn't suck like most Randall's.

a020.jpg

a021.jpg

Quiet residential streets just off one of the busiest Inner Loop thoroughfares.

a020.jpg

Let's take a walk down Shepherd...

a002.jpg

a008.jpg

a009.jpg

a003.jpg

a004.jpg

a010.jpg

a022.jpg

a026.jpg

a025.jpg

a023.jpg

a027.jpg

a028.jpg

And then we come up on Sul Ross where it can get hard to tell homes from businesses. I surmise some could serve as both. Mixed use indeed.

a029.jpg

a030.jpg

Then it goes to small apartment complexes before going to...

a031.jpg

All of this is on the same block of Sul Ross.

a037.jpg

Heading back towards Alabama again...

a038.jpg

a040.jpg

a035.jpg

a034.jpg

a042.jpg

And back toward Shepherd...

a043.jpg

a045.jpg

It's interesting that someone would open a Chicken 'N' Eggroll restaurant, keep it open for only seven days, then close it. The owner could have just opened a stand at the rodeo or something. At least it makes for more parking.

Well, my battery died out and I decided to get in the shade...until next time...

Thanks for some great pics around my 'hood...that area behind Crome definitely has an interesting mix to it. One of the residents of that second fourplex called to have my car towed a few months back :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to West Alabama/South Shepherd and Houston's unzoned greatness

Archived