2016 Olympic bid cities

The list of cities vying for the 2016 Olympic games has been shortened. Everyone break out your Sharpies and draw lines where appropriate:

• Baku
  • Doha
  • Chicago
  • Madrid
  • Prague
  • Rio de Janeiro
  • Tokyo

I think Tokyo is the front-runner. I know the IOC will be reluctant to award it to another Asian nation so soon after Beijing, but Tokyo has the infrastructure, the experience, and it's a non-controversial site. Although I have heard a pretty good theory saying Rio could get because the Olympics have never been in South America, and if Beijing goes well it shows that a developing nation can support such an event.

• 1 month later...

Sure will. I know Houston can do it. Some beautification projects would definitely come along, too.

And Editor, is Chicago a controversial site? I thought that Chicago was the front runner with the IOC.

Can probably strike out Tokyo. Too earthquake prone these days. By 2016 will no doubt be worse. Rio could sure use the money, but the roaming pocket thieve gangs would be a nightmare to contain in order to keep the tourists safe. So, Madrid or Chicago ? Madrid would be nice, alot of history in that city. Chicago would be nice for a more "modern" feel Olympics, question would be, does Chicago have the venues, and if not, can they build them in time ?

I kind of have an on-topic/off-topic thought..

I've been watching the U.S. Olympic Qualifiers on tv from Omaha, and began wondering to myself: instead of Houston always trying (and failing) to get the Olympic bid, why don't we shoot for something more realistic like the U.S. Qualifiers? It's basically an "Olympics-lite".

Thoughts?

I kind of have an on-topic/off-topic thought..

I've been watching the U.S. Olympic Qualifiers on tv from Omaha, and began wondering to myself: instead of Houston always trying (and failing) to get the Olympic bid, why don't we shoot for something more realistic like the U.S. Qualifiers? It's basically an "Olympics-lite".

Thoughts?

I think that's their goal now; to get as many big events as they can, that will give them a track record and will show the olympic committee that they can handle it. We had the gymnastics qualifier here a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure if we have anything next year. Click on the link I posted above. They mention this type of strategy.

Archived