Houston's Nightlife

Well the title says it all. I've read a few posts from other websites like skyscraperpage.com and others and there are members on there trying to say that Houston's nightlife downtown has died. I was just there last weekend and there were alot of people out on Main Street. To me it looks like the crowd has shifted south from where it was during the 2004/2005 era. Over by the grasshopper, its slowed down but the Jefe Bar still brings in a nice crowd. Also over there by where the mint used to be, its kind of died but that's only becasue the El Centro club that was last there has closed. Maybe the people who bought the grasshopper (I-bar it's called now) will open up soon and things will pick up on that side. My main thing is, nightlife is present over by club vault, Venue, Glo, and even off Franklin over there by the toc bar and Pink Monkey. I even saw a few long lines outside of some clubs on Travis and a few other streets parrallel to Main.

Also take a stroll through Midtown over there by Specs and there's a large crowd as well. On a flipnote, I do think Houston could have a few more after hours spots because when people come to Houston, they want to party. My buddies that came from Vegas a couple of years ago were disappointed that Houston shut down so early. But hopefully after that raid that was at Pink Monkey a few weeks back doesn't cause us to lose the only after hours spot we have in the downtown area.

I was just wondering what some of you thought because it like i said before, the nightlife downtown hasn't died, it just shifted.

Some people are a bit amazed that our bars (and most businesses) are generally closed by 2am, but I also agree we need some after hours places. One thing is that they are going to have to be closely monitored unless they want something like the pink monkey happening again.

Last thing Houston needs is a reputation is an after hours scene in which you are likely to get drugged while getting served an illegal drink.

Houston's nightlife hasn't died. It's just moved like it has over the years.

Talking Downtown specifically, yes the glitz stuff has gone for Midtown and more recently the Washington area. These kind of places are usually the least stable longterm.

If Houston were truly serious about being a convention town, and if it were truly serious about attracting what it perceives to be the "creative class" it would look into becoming more of a 24 hour city.

There also seem to be many younger vocational workers who like to spend money. This could be another outlet for them to do so.

If Houston were truly serious about being a convention town, and if it were truly serious about attracting what it perceives to be the "creative class" it would look into becoming more of a 24 hour city.

There also seem to be many younger vocational workers who like to spend money. This could be another outlet for them to do so.

But also remember, there are people that come in for various conventions that hit the town that not are busy from the morning to mid-evening that need to let out some steam and want to have some nice clubs/bars to go to. There are also those younger (and more than a few older) ones that just want to paint the town red, so a proper balance needs to be made and I hope that HP will make a good addition.

I think Downtown is starting to shift a bit. The more refined section seems to be around the 500-600 block, while the more stylish/thugish are on the lower parts of main. Only time will tell how it will finally morph.

Well, I think there is no shortage of restaurants and bars in this city from late morning to mid evening. However, that is the case in many cities, and maybe Houston might want to differentiate itself more.

I don't want 24hr crap like in New Orleans, but a good variety of stuff that is relatively easy to find. Unless you're a local, its close to impossible to find "Rich's", "XO's", Ruchi's (Bleh!), Chachos (Yum!) or places like that

the northwest corner of Midtown is booming right now, and I think a lot of that has to do with parking. Everytime we used to go out downtown, we had a hard time finding cheap, well-lit, close parking. Midtown never seems to be an issue. There also a lot less homeless in that part of Midtown, along with a strong police presence.

I think all you see come from downtown is more of what is developing now: stand alone classy bars/restaurants and thuggish clubs.

the northwest corner of Midtown is booming right now, and I think a lot of that has to do with parking. Everytime we used to go out downtown, we had a hard time finding cheap, well-lit, close parking. Midtown never seems to be an issue. There also a lot less homeless in that part of Midtown, along with a strong police presence.

parking is still an issue. towing is happening big time. i'll bet that police presence is at night.

I think all you see come from downtown is more of what is developing now: stand alone classy bars/restaurants and thuggish clubs.

i was talking to someone last night saying how they saw women [relieving themselves] in the bushes in midtown as if no one could see, but there was a full view from the other side. LOL that's classy

I like going out in Houston, but it's definitely not a party city. I don't know if it's a city decision or a state decision, but I would love it if they moved last call back to 3 am. I just got back from Nashville where the bars close at 3 am, and that extra hour makes all the difference in the world. DC is the same way. Every time I got to those cities it's a party. NYC is the same way, but it takes it even farther with 4 am last call.

I don't see Houston ever doing this just because the city doesn't really have a solid tourist industry. The city is much more business and family focused. That's fine, but it would make for a more well rounded city, in my opinion.

Well as the OP said, Houston has a few after hours spots like Pink Monkey. They're just scattered all over the city and you have to more or less know someone who knows about them to know they exist. I remember i was at a club off Richmond chillin' with a lady a couple of years ago and the bar didn't close until around 6 am.

I don't see Houston ever doing this just because the city doesn't really have a solid tourist industry. The city is much more business and family focused. That's fine, but it would make for a more well rounded city, in my opinion.

I agree...and it will definitely be good for business. It is a tough sell to conventioneers to say "Sure you're only in town for a few days, just get to know a local and hope they know where the after hours clubs are."

I agree...and it will definitely be good for business. It is a tough sell to conventioneers to say "Sure you're only in town for a few days, just get to know a local and hope they know where the after hours clubs are."

There is also the fact many locals have NO CLUE as to the clubs that are out there that their friends would TRULY be interested in.

What Houston should do is offer a packet/list of clubs and bars around Houston that match EVERY demo that comes into the city. They shouldn't stop at the "polite" PC bars, but list places like "The Ripcord", "Pink Monkey", and "Wish's" for the people that are interested in that.

There is also the fact many locals have NO CLUE as to the clubs that are out there that their friends would TRULY be interested in.

What Houston should do is offer a packet/list of clubs and bars around Houston that match EVERY demo that comes into the city. They shouldn't stop at the "polite" PC bars, but list places like "The Ripcord", "Pink Monkey", and "Wish's" for the people that are interested in that.

So Houston should offer a list of clubs where there is sure to be after hours drinking or other illegal activity? Hrm...though I don't doubt the thrill of doing something "bad" I do think that if it gets to that point it would be a better idea to simply extend the last call to 4 am.

In most places, the "polite PC bars" extend until the late last call. The after-hours stuff is usually along the lines of an opium den. Houston should at least seem like it is attempting to catch up to the rest of the world.

• 2 months later...

I've thought about this more, and I really don't think the Houston nightlife is dead. It's just too spread out. I think the whole sprawling personality of the city actually applies to the nightlife, too. With bars closing at 2 am, it's impossible to really bar hop in this city. The only places you can do this on foot is in Midtown or Downtown. With Upper Kirby, Rice Village, Washington, etc., the city has little pockets of nightlife. Unless you're going to spend $50+ in cab fare, you most likely will go to 1 or maybe 2 bars a night. Or I guess you could drive drunk everywhere. Either way, this just doesn't equate to healthy business for most bars.

Even Dallas has most of their nightlife concentrated along McKinney in Uptown. And of course Austin has 6th.

Archived