Houston Under Construction

My delight with new construction (at least, some of it) is tempered by the disregard that contractors have for the public.

An example: I was walking past the new Hines construction site on Main Street. To their credit, a walkway to shield pedestrians has been built. However, either the contractor or local ordinances haven't taken me into account. The roof is too low. Maybe not for you, but I have to duck to walk through the thing.

In my defense, I'm not freakishly tall. Exceptionally, maybe, but not quite circus material. Shouldn't such structures accommodate those of us who are a mere 6'6"?

Other examples abound. More pressing is the matter of runoff from construction sites. Sidewalks are often seas of mud; I imagine that the impact on storm sewers and bayous is also significant.

Speaking of sidewalks, often they're demolished along with any exisiting building in older neighborhoods. In many cases, it's literally years before they're replaced.

Who oversees contractors? And why aren't the overseers doing a better job?

It's been my observation that construction companies and contractors will only do what they're required to by law or local ordinance. There's no incentive to go above and beyond because once the project is done, they're forgotten. Unless you're in the trade, no one knows who built what. The construction company name comes down when the building's done. And while it's up it's only an ad targeting others in the industry, not Mr. & Mrs. John Q. Public.

Since Houston is a town with few regulations compared to other cities, I wouldn't be surprised if things are a little looser for the construction industry, too.

I don't see them raising the scaffolding. I'm only 6'2", and I've had to duck here and there. But the mud is another matter. Talk to whatever aldercritter will listen to you and see what happens.

In Chicago there are very strict rules about dust and mud from construction sites. During concrete pours the construction company has to have street sweepers follow each cement truck, and often there is another one that circles the block. Sometimes the construction company owns them (you can tell by the logos and such) and sometimes they pay the city to do it.

Maybe the alderman can tell you if there's a similar rule in Houston.

I'm sure there are lots of HAIFers who can weigh in on the sidewalk issue.

Erosion control is regulated in most cities, and Houston is not an exception. Report them.

If sidewalks are being demolished and those sidewalks are on city property, then they are required to replace those sidewalks. Code Enforcement should pick up on this, but they can be hit or miss. If you're concerned about it, report it as a problem.

Erosion control is regulated in most cities, and Houston is not an exception. Report them.

If sidewalks are being demolished and those sidewalks are on city property, then they are required to replace those sidewalks. Code Enforcement should pick up on this, but they can be hit or miss. If you're concerned about it, report it as a problem.

You're right. And I have reported both circumstances, in several instances.

Want to know what was done?

(crickets)

You're right. And I have reported both circumstances, in several instances.

Want to know what was done?

(crickets)

Be persistant. Let them know that you aren't going away, that it's less inconvenient to do their job and fix the very real problem than it is to deal with you. I know that it's totally assinine, but that's what you've got to do with most bureaucrats.

In Chicago there are very strict rules about dust and mud from construction sites. During concrete pours the construction company has to have street sweepers follow each cement truck, and often there is another one that circles the block. Sometimes the construction company owns them (you can tell by the logos and such) and sometimes they pay the city to do it.

I'm sure there are lots of HAIFers who can weigh in on the sidewalk issue.

Don't get me started on this. I am a project manager on a certain construction project in the Medical Center. Our contractor keeps the streets cleaned daily, (we see to it) but several months ago an ignorant doctor drove around one of thier street sweepers, obviously he was in a hurry and much more important than everybody else. Of course mud was slung against his new status car, and he complained profusely. The contractor was willing to offer a coupon for a free car was down street, but this would not do for Dr. Crybaby. He used is rank and influence to allow him to have his car totally detailed. I received the $300.00 receipt from his secretary and almost gagged. I sat on the reimbursemnt for the longest time, but finally had to follow trough with it after receiving repeated inquiries. Now I'm mad all over again. :angry:

Don't get me started on this. I am a project manager on a certain construction project in the Medical Center. Our contractor keeps the streets cleaned daily, (we see to it) but several months ago an ignorant doctor drove around one of thier street sweepers, obviously he was in a hurry and much more important than everybody else. Of course mud was slung against his new status car, and he complained profusely. The contractor was willing to offer a coupon for a free car was down street, but this would not do for Dr. Crybaby. He used is rank and influence to allow him to have his car totally detailed. I received the $300.00 receipt from his secretary and almost gagged. I sat on the reimbursemnt for the longest time, but finally had to follow trough with it after receiving repeated inquiries. Now I'm mad all over again. :angry:

Apparently you did. The Med Center is a particularly touchy place to drive/work in for the very example you mentioned. People are in a total mind state there than anyplace else in the city.

I won't comment on the reimbursement. I don't want you to have an aneurysm.