AIA 2008 Architecture Awards

Salazar House. Unlike many new houses in old neighborhoods, this small but elegant one - two bedrooms, 2,300-square feet -- takes care not to dwarf its neighbors. Organized around a courtyard, the house has deep shady eaves and operable windows: sustainability with style. Winner of a 2008 AIA-Houston Design Award for Residential Architecture.

Sure didn't expect it to look so great! :D See how perceptions can work.

What do you guys think of the Heritage Plaze Parking Garage?? I hadn't seen a rendering posted anywhere... it doesn't look THAT great to me (esp. not an architectural award?). Just looks like a big metal cage, which will look interesting in such a prime location.

What do you guys think of the Heritage Plaze Parking Garage?? I hadn't seen a rendering posted anywhere... it doesn't look THAT great to me (esp. not an architectural award?). Just looks like a big metal cage, which will look interesting in such a prime location.

Renderings so seldom look like reality that they're almost pointless these days.

I think it would have been great if the new Heritage Plaza garage looked like a copy of the top of Heritage Plaza.

Salazar House. Unlike many new houses in old neighborhoods, this small but elegant one - two bedrooms, 2,300-square feet -- takes care not to dwarf its neighbors. Organized around a courtyard, the house has deep shady eaves and operable windows: sustainability with style. Winner of a 2008 AIA-Houston Design Award for Residential Architecture.

Sure didn't expect it to look so great! :D See how perceptions can work.

I found that house by accident over a year ago, and always wondered what the story was behind it. It's a good example of how redevelopment can complement a neighborhood, through the contextual acknowledgement of scale and climate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived