The Rockefeller legacy continues

Vertigo58

A bit over the top? I am sure he donates to the poor too. Me hopes. :mellow:

BOSTON (Reuters) - Philanthropist David Rockefeller donated a record $100 million to Harvard University's undergraduate program, the largest gift by a Harvard alumnus in the history of the oldest and richest U.S. college.

About $70 million will be used to expand Harvard's student travel and study abroad programs and $30 million will go to arts education, the Cambridge, Massachusetts, school said in a statement on Friday.

Rockefeller, 92, the last surviving grandchild of billionaire oil tycoon John D. Rockefeller, is listed by Forbes magazine as one of the 150 wealthiest Americans, with an estimated fortune of $2.7 billion.

He graduated in 1936 from Harvard College, the school's undergraduate arm.

"Harvard opened my eyes and my mind to the world," Rockefeller said in a statement. "It was because of Harvard's language requirement that I spent the summer of 1933 in Germany and saw firsthand the ominous rise of fascism. And it was at Harvard that I first studied art history," the noted art collector said.

The gift will provide annual stipends for students going aboard and the Office of International Programs, among other programs at Harvard. Harvard is the wealthiest U.S. university; its endowment is the largest in the world, with assets of $35 billion.

Rockefeller had previously given $40 million in gifts to Harvard, including $25 million to create the David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies, Harvard said.

"This is a magnificent act of generosity from an extraordinary friend of Harvard," said Harvard University president Drew Faust.

And yet they still keep calling me for money every couple of months. LOL

Harvard solicits money from all alums. They call and write me too, but I haven't given them a dime yet. I am planning to include them in my will and leave them some money to endow a small graduate student fellowship in my name.

I was giving this some thought over the weekend.

I figured that this man is probably in a state of mind that he cannot think sensibly any longer. That and the fact that he must have a panel of about 20-25 or more people that are managing his every idea or thought not to mention $. The man could be in in al sorts of ailments namely Altzheimer's? Hence if he saw you at Jack in the Box ordering something, he would unknowingly hand you about a million dollars not even knowing what the heck he is doing. (I wish it were me). I wonder if it is "public" to know what other "needy" orgs he has sent $ to?

Top of my list would be

1. Battered women

2. Children in near death situations

3. Faith based orgs

4. Homeless society

but that's me. Any college would be last on the list.

Harvard solicits money from all alums. They call and write me too, but I haven't given them a dime yet. I am planning to include them in my will and leave them some money to endow a small graduate student fellowship in my name.

I am a member of the Varisty Club and make a gift every year both to the club and to the track team, and I'm active in the local Harvard Club and the admissions committee, but there is no way in Hades I am giving the College Fund anything until I am sufficiently wealthy and/or dead.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (millennica @ Friday, April 25th, 2008 @ 3:43pm)

I am a member of the Varisty Club and make a gift every year both to the club and to the track team, and I'm active in the local Harvard Club and the admissions committee, but there is no way in Hades I am giving the College Fund anything until I am sufficiently wealthy and/or dead.

I don't give them any money even though I am sufficiently wealthy do so. I also don't plan on giving them any until I am dead. As I said, I am leaving them a small endowment in my will, which I assume won't be in force until I'm dead. And if I manage to spend all my money and there's none left when I die, then Harvard won't get any.

• The title was changed to The Rockefeller legacy continues