Lars Bang Mid-Century Modern

• 2 weeks later...

What the...

I found this on SWAMPLOT talking about my Meyerland listing. How odd.

It did go under option the same day they posted this, less than 45 days after I took the listing. Hopefully the deal will make the distance. An Architect and his wife are buying it.

Eye of the beholder, I s'pose.

MCM designs are at best appealing to flakes and anal-retentive Nordic types (Lars Bang?). Seems to me MCMs have limited marketing appeal, cumbersome flow, and if one is found that doesn't need major structural repairs major updating is needed instead. Why are there so few survivors, or so few of the ultra-mod "fab 50's" properties out there?

A friend of mine's brother hometended one in Meyerland (circa 1964) that had been on the market for nearly five years before it finally sold in 1997. Updated kitchen with Sub-Zero fridge too. Nice neighborhood (Chimney Rock/N.Braeswood) section, good condition, soft market?

I'm no architect or real estate professional (my friend's mom is a career broker), there's some things I just can't understand.

Eye of the beholder, I s'pose.

MCM designs are at best appealing to flakes and anal-retentive Nordic types (Lars Bang?).

The couple that are purchasing this one are both Architects. Dealing with this niche market as much as I do I find they appeal to people with more sophisticated architectural tastes, you know, like Architects. (So yes on anal retentive I suppose).

Seems to me MCMs have limited marketing appeal, cumbersome flow,

It is limited, again typically to some people within the ranks of those with more sophisticated architectural tastes, and that is not everybody. For example, those whose taste are dictated by what they see sitting on the shelves of Lowe's & Home Depot, or on the HGTV shows just simply "won't get it" & may be "confused" by them. The floor plans are typically more open and more in keeping with today's lifestyle than their more traditional counterparts with closed off formals and a separate den, so I don't know what you mean by "cumbersome flow."

and if one is found that doesn't need major structural repairs major updating is needed instead.

Um...updating so it looks like what you see on the HGTV show? start at the top and re-read the comments. As for structural repairs, yes, many do.

Why are there so few survivors, or so few of the ultra-mod "fab 50's" properties out there?

Ever heard of "McMansions?" Anyway, this goes back to your limited marketability comment. With so few and increasing demand, they can command a premium compared to more traditional houses. That has certainly been my experience in Glenbrook Valley for example.

I'm no architect or real estate professional (my friend's mom is a career broker), there's some things I just can't understand.

Not to worry, we will try to educate you!

Not to worry, we will try to educate you!

I can personally attest that, prior to reading rps324 and others remarks about Mid Century Modern architecture, that I had little understanding and less appreciation for the style.

Like music, clothing or automobiles, styles change in architecture. When they do, there's always a backlash against that which immediately preceded them. For years, the style called Moderne or Streamline was considered corny and old-fashioned. Thankfully, people (some people) have revised their opinions and recognized its merits. The same will (I hope) be true for MCMs.

That being said, sometimes the term MCM is used a bit optimistically. Some 50 year old ranch style houses were pretty blah when they were built, and age has not improved them.

Eye of the beholder.

As for 'McMansions" I don't care for them, and I am not the one who believes everything told to me by the bobbleheads on DIY and HGTV.

I believe that style should best compliment the geographic region where one chooses to call home. An area like The Woodlands or Kingwood IMO wouldn't be a good fit for a postmodern design, just as an English Tudor wouldn't fit in Sharpstown.

It was Frank Lloyd Wright who had the philosophy that a building is more than wood, bricks and glass - it should be a near-spiritual experience to view and enter it. Wright was truly a renaissance man, borrowing from the European predecessors who designed cathedrals and such. The Guggenheim Museum and Falling Water among his other works remain a testament to the man and his art.

Back to MCMs and Wright's philosophy, it really has to grab you. Since I don't particularly care for Swedish meatballs or Ludefisk a MCM designed by a guy named Lars doesn't grab me. My $0.02

Archived