Three airlines close in one week - Aloha, ATA, and Skybus!

VicMan

Other than Aloha, the other's aren't much of a loss. Nobody who watches the industry is surprised that ATA shut down -- they were on the verge of it and had only a handful of scheduled service routes left. Skybus... seriously, anyone who thought they were going to make it long-term was smoking something. Common sense says that no matter how cheap you sell your tickets, when you're flying routes that nobody wants to fly, you're not going to make any money. And Champion is a charter-only operation flying an entirely 727 fleet, and has lost several key contracts in the last year. I did book a ticket on Champion back in December from DFW to Las Vegas just for the heck of it -- I wanted to fly a 727 one last time, and had never had the experience of flying on a high density charter carrier before.

• 2 weeks later...

I recall wanting to get into the airlines so desperately years ago. :wacko: Even attended an airline school up in Dallas. It never panned out and maybe that was an early premonition. Most of the opportunities in the airline industry are thankless jobs. "No respect" like Rodney Dangerfield used to say. My younger bro still works for an airline but not dealing with the pathetic public. He knew many Senior Flight Attendants that would tell very bizarre stories. That's a whole other topic though.

Aloha to Aloha, right! Wonder if there is a Sayonara Airline? Ja ja.