Houston Trivia Game

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
??Rice Military Neighborhood??

Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one. 22 Malone is in Rice Military.

Anybody got a good answer as to how the subdiv got its name? There's a thread out there, but I'm not sure it was resolved.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one. 22 Malone is in Rice Military.

Anybody got a good answer as to how the subdiv got its name? There's a thread out there, but I'm not sure it was resolved.

edit: so is your answer because HAR says the subdivision is Rice Military?

I've never gotten a handle on "Rice Military" and would be interested. It is relatively new name in real estate and common conversation, I'm guessing it's an old name that got popular again?

I grew up here and never heard Rice Military until the townhomes started being built. We used 'Camp Logan' for the same area, even though it wasn't all technically the old Camp Logan.

edit: so is your answer because HAR says the subdivision is Rice Military?

Not HAR, HCAD: "LTS 32 & 33 BLK 28 RICE MILITARY"

I've never gotten a handle on "Rice Military" and would be interested. It is relatively new name in real estate and common conversation, I'm guessing it's an old name that got popular again?

I grew up here and never heard Rice Military until the townhomes started being built. We used 'Camp Logan' for the same area, even though it wasn't all technically the old Camp Logan.

I thought that the "Military" comes from Camp Logan which is still the name of the subdiv to the west and the "Rice" from the mills that used to be to the east. Rice Mill-itary...get it? There is some discussion about the name here . Apparently nobody really knows.

Whoa, that's so cool man, I didn't know that! For the cosmonauts.

Puro, we have Astronauts, not Cosmonauts, Comrade !

Porchman is right, "Military" comes from the old training Camp that was in the area during WWI.

I'm gonna keep asking until someone answers! :)

1. Who was the first former Astro to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

2. What Houston businessman had the first air-conditioned automobile on record, and when?

a few more:

3. Craig Biggio will probably be in the Hall of Fame. What other three former Astros infielders are in the Hall of Fame?

4. Who designed the facade for Marshall Field's at the Galleria and what was supposed to be added to it, but never was?

5. What was the nickname for the Smith -- Louisiana corridor in the '70s and '80s, because of the predominance of buildings by a certain architectural firm?

3. Craig Biggio will probably be in the Hall of Fame. What other three former Astros infielders are in the Hall of Fame?

Joe Morgan

Eddie Matthews

Nellie Fox

5. What was the nickname for the Smith -- Louisiana corridor in the '70s and '80s, because of the predominance of buildings by a certain architectural firm?

Hines Hall?

Edit: Oh yeah, Hines isn't an architectural firm.

I'm gonna keep asking until someone answers! :) 1. Who was the first former Astro to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

2. What Houston businessman had the first air-conditioned automobile on record, and when? a few more: 3.

Craig Biggio will probably be in the Hall of Fame. What other three former Astros infielders are in the Hall of Fame?

4. Who designed the facade for Marshall Field's at the Galleria and what was supposed to be added to it, but never was?

Man, you came up with some tough ones!

5. Skid Row?

I don't know the answer to this but I bet one of you will.

What is the oldest continually open business in Houston?

Yes, Morgan, Mathews, and Fox are in the HOF.

Morgan started out with Houston and became a star, then achieved his biggest fame with Cincinnati.

Mathews and Fox were at the end of illustrious careers, Mathews with the Braves and Fox with the White Sox, and they had brief stays in Houston in the mid-60s.

Hint: the first former Astro in the HOF also followed this pattern.

Yes, Smith/Louisiana was called Skid Row because there were so many buildings by Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill.

I don't know the answer to this but I bet one of you will.

What is the oldest continually open business in Houston?

The A.H. Belo corporation is the oldest continually operating business in Texas.

James Coney Island is the oldest restaurant in Houston

Shudde Brothers hats and Stewart and Stevenson would be good candidates. But I seem to recall it was a bar of some kind...

I'm gonna keep asking until someone answers! :)

1. Who was the first former Astro to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

2. What Houston businessman had the first air-conditioned automobile on record, and when?

a few more:

4. Philip Johnson, ivy?

Well, y'all aren't doing too bad. :) Still wondering about the first Astro in the HOF, first a/c auto, what's missing from the Marshall Field's facade...

Here are a couple more:

1. What was the original location of the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center?

2. What and where was "Luvin' Canada?"

Archived