Graffiti

cnote

Somone show me some research showing that "most" graffiti is not done by gangsters...at one time it was common practice for gangs to mark territory with graffiti, maybe that changed...

i think it has changed, or at least been developed by a subculture in a different direction. here's a nice little gothamist article on Banksy and what a high dollar art form it can be for one with talent in this particular artistic expression. art is subjective. like the others though, i don't condone the act of violation on private property... but then again, i would not object to Banksy or the like "tagging" my theoretical property placed in the right location, as the property value would probably increase.

also, infinite jim: hello old friend.

i think it has changed, or at least been developed by a subculture in a different direction. here's a nice little gothamist article on Banksy and what a high dollar art form it can be for one with talent in this particular artistic expression. art is subjective. like the others though, i don't condone the act of violation on private property... but then again, i would not object to Banksy or the like "tagging" my theoretical property placed in the right location, as the property value would probably increase.

Yeah, I have seen Banksy on 60 minutes, his stuff was pretty funny. I guess I just see a little more creativity and thought in a work by Banksy than DEMOS written in bubble letters. But maybe this guy is protesting strip mall development...that they should all be Demolished.

There is now new graffiti on the METRO park and ride garage at 290 and skinner being developed by Newquest...who knows how long it will take them to wipe this one away...It is on the facade of the third floor of the garage where the perp probably crawled onto the awning. It is not the same DEMO guy, or at least is doesn't say DEMO...

• 2 weeks later...

delaney!

Good to see you made it out of houston, that's what happens when a truly talented person as yourself succeeds to the next level.

BK treatin you good?, I hear they have badass kickball games in prospect park and all other DIY events not to mention great peeps like SF/soma.

So great to have you on board too and I look forward to seeing ya round these parts!

btw Daigoro posts as spencer street (but hasn't posted in awhile cuz people around here are typically houston i.e. mediocre& snark hateraide like the internetz are about to run out, but I'll concede that they have their moments :unsure: )

cheers~

-Jimmy

edit:

QUOTE (cnote @ Tuesday, April 1st, 2008 @ 2:43pm) *

Somone show me some research showing that "most" graffiti is not done by gangsters...at one time it was common practice for gangs to mark territory with graffiti, maybe that changed...

^april fools on you :P

how would one even begin to find out about things people are not willing to talk about ?

Edited by infinite_jim

• 13 years later...
On 4/1/2008 at 12:06 PM, cnote said:

Noticed some graffiti on the new shopping center along the feeder rd. of 290 past Barker-Cypress next to the new HEB...it was on the back of the building, barely visible, then they painted over it. Low and behold now it has been "tagged" on the glass windows of the shopping center facing 290!!!

What the hell is going on here? Are there gangs in this area? It looked like a pretty professional job...not just some vandalizing kids. Makes me sick...I hope they can catch these a**holes...I also wonder why they chose this shopping center and no others that I can tell?

Did you happen to take a picture of it? Do you know the difference between Tagger graffiti and Gang graffiti? LOL Gangs in Cypress? Back in the 90's maybe and that's a big maybe. I've heard rumors about existing gangs out there from 92 to around 2000 but to date have found no proof.

24 minutes ago, Samuel Herrera said:

Did you happen to take a picture of it? Do you know the difference between Tagger graffiti and Gang graffiti? LOL Gangs in Cypress? Back in the 90's maybe and that's a big maybe. I've heard rumors about existing gangs out there from 92 to around 2000 but to date have found no proof.

Heads up, the post you replied to is 13 years old.