Houston Is Next Great World City?

If we may please return to the topic [ :rolleyes: ]

Good article, although of course being from Houston I'm going to be a bit prejudiced about it. It is a little thinly argued, but I like the overall point that the next great city might not arise from the popular (and overblown) "creative class" theory. Not that there isn't a place for it, but ultimately real growth is going to come not as much from young hipsters as much as people looking to work and make money. Note though that buying into the economic argument the article makes for Houston doesn't mean that it necessarily follows that Houston's urban design - sprawl, lack of zoning etc. - must therefore also be optimal.

If we may please return to the topic [ :rolleyes: ]

Good article, although of course being from Houston I'm going to be a bit prejudiced about it. It is a little thinly argued, but I like the overall point that the next great city might not arise from the popular (and overblown) "creative class" theory. Not that there isn't a place for it, but ultimately real growth is going to come not as much from young hipsters as much as people looking to work and make money. Note though that buying into the economic argument the article makes for Houston doesn't mean that it necessarily follows that Houston's urban design - sprawl, lack of zoning etc. - must therefore also be optimal.

It would seem that the conditions that allow sprawl are our greatest asset in terms of keeping housing prices down. Put in a regional context, it allows people to sort themselves according to their preferences. In a larger perspective, perhaps it is a good idea that there be at least one metro area in the United States like Houston, where the bulk of suburban areas are in unincorporated areas maintained by those that live there through small MUDs, and regulated by deed restrictions that residents may voluntarily choose to accept or reject. In that way, people have options not only to freely sort themselves within a region but among regions.

As for zoning, the City of Houston is mostly built-out. Zoning would either be a meaningless patchwork reflecting what's there now, or would act to encumber developers and subsidize ex-politicians that hire themselves to developers out as consultants that can get rid of encumberances.

I don't think it's the sprawl that helps us but the absence of zoning. I think as long as we avoid zoning we could have quite a city -- that appeals to everyone, creative class as well as anyone who grew up in Houston -- without the suburban-lifestyle subsidies

Quite true, if low housing prices are your sole priority for the region.

For the sake of population and employment growth, low housing prices are tremendously important.

Much has been made of 'quality of life' issues, but if all that can be done is to keep housing prices low, then people can sort themselves geographically to optimize whatever factors comprise quality of life to them.

Archived