Study: County Must Beef Up Transportation, Education

Harris County enjoys diversity, low cost of living and exceptional medical facilities, but must overcome education and transportation deficiencies to attract more businesses and qualified workers, according to a study released today.

The $300,000 study, conducted for the county by Angelou Economics and paid for with county and federal funds, shows that in some portions of east Harris County, more than half of residents between the ages of 18 and 25 haven't finished high school.

In the western part of the county, the well-educated population is aging and isn't being replaced by younger workers, according to the study.

And a lack of public transportation in some parts of east Harris County makes it hard for residents to get to jobs, the study found.

The Metropolitan Transit Authority's service area covers much of Harris County, but excludes some cities along the Houston Ship Channel and some unincorporated areas east and northeast of Houston.

full article

I'd love to see the actual study. I wonder where it is published...

Aside from Pasadena, Deer Park, La Porte, and Baytown (cities that would have to agree to pay METRO a 1% sales tax to get METRO services), most of East Harris County is still pretty rural in nature. Not sure that busses make sense, aside from P&R lots. If people really and truely are having mobility problems, it may be less expensive and more efficient to give those people a transportation stipend than to provide regular transit service on a local level.

Aside from Pasadena, Deer Park, La Porte, and Baytown (cities that would have to agree to pay METRO a 1% sales tax to get METRO services), most of East Harris County is still pretty rural in nature. Not sure that busses make sense, aside from P&R lots. If people really and truely are having mobility problems, it may be less expensive and more efficient to give those people a transportation stipend than to provide regular transit service on a local level.

Speaking of that, let's look at the Galena Park and the Northshore areas: http://www.ridemetro.org/Schedules_and_Map...ystem%20Map.pdf

I know that more people are moving into the Galena Park ISD side and the far eastern part of the Furr attendance boundary - I notice that some new schools opened in those areas so I know families are moving in.

However I think the people of Crosby, Huffman, and Sheldon may be best served with stipends :)