Proposal Ideas?

wernicke

Hey guys... just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on places/things to do leading into asking my gf to marry me. I had been thinking about getting a nice room in Galveston and making it a kind of weekend getaway, but there doesn't seem to be much availability down there for the next couple of weeks (and the nice places are expensive). If I stay in Houston, I'm really not sure what I am going to do. I'm more of an intimate-setting type of person, rather than a big public spectacle type.

Any advice/ideas would help!

Hey guys... just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on places/things to do leading into asking my gf to marry me. I had been thinking about getting a nice room in Galveston and making it a kind of weekend getaway, but there doesn't seem to be much availability down there for the next couple of weeks (and the nice places are expensive). If I stay in Houston, I'm really not sure what I am going to do. I'm more of an intimate-setting type of person, rather than a big public spectacle type.

Congratulations Wernicke..... not much experience in that area for me to give any advice. Like you, I am more the intimate type so I will probably do it (If ever) on a remote, romantic location (Greek Islands or The Maldives might do it)

Don't do like the guy in London.

Engagement Ring

Depending on her personality, you can make it seem like a simple treasure hunt. Get some of her girlfriend involved so she won't totally see it coming.

One that I arranged, involved a flower shop, a victoria's secret, a shoe store, and eventually wound up at a bar (where their first date was) and proposed. She was stunned.

Each stop was a gift card involved, make up any story you want involving the hunt (or get one of her friends involved in it) and have fun.

Best of luck to you, just remember; Marriage isn't tax deductible and it hasn't been for years. That is the reason why I haven't' been as motivated to.

Edited by ricco67

I did it on a vacation to Vancouver. My wife always likes to read the classified ads from the local paper wherever we travel, so I took out a big fat a in the Vancouver Sun and had it put in the middle of the Classifieds. She was casually looking through the paper on a quiet ferry ride from Vancouver to Victoria when she saw the ad. Quite the surprise.

My advice is to find something your fiancee does routinely and then interrupt that routine.

Depending on her personality, you can make it seem like a simple treasure hunt. Get some of her girlfriend involved so she won't totally see it coming.

One that I arranged, involved a flower shop, a victoria's secret, a shoe store, and eventually wound up at a bar (where their first date was) and proposed. She was stunned.

Each stop was a gift card involved, make up any story you want involving the hunt (or get one of her friends involved in it) and have fun.

Best of luck to you, just remember; Marriage isn't tax deductible and it hasn't been for years. That is the reason why I haven't' been as motivated to.

SCAVANGER HUNT! that word eluded me while I was making this post. but you get the general idea.

Thanks guys!

I can definitely see some possibilities in the scavenger hunt idea.

Editor, I wish I could take a nice trip somewhere... that would be my first choice because we both love to travel and it would be memorable, but insufficient funds for plane tickets and not many good destination options in the Houston area are limiting.

One I heard about that I liked was the guy had the question put on the slip of paper in a fortune cookie (although I always wondered how he got that done).

Good luck! :)

Sweet jumping Mary & Joseph - don't do this. My sister was dating this guy once... that really, really liked her... he made a full batch of fortune cookies - each one, something good about her. How sweet... FREAKED HER OUT.

Sweet jumping Mary & Joseph - don't do this. My sister was dating this guy once... that really, really liked her... he made a full batch of fortune cookies - each one, something good about her. How sweet... FREAKED HER OUT.

You think it was the idea itself or just the quantity?

You think it was the idea itself or just the quantity?

She never specified. If it were me... I would guess the quantity and the OCD-level of work required to type up all those little pieces of paper, documenting my obsessive thoughts about you, carefully folding them in to the cookies, and baking just right, etc... Usually, guys find some way to have flowers delivered to her apartment, when she's gone and the place is locked. 1-800 flowers must be pretty aggressive...

Ricco... I am basically going with the plan you laid out, which is funny. Haven't quite figured out where to wind up b/c our first date was at Edwards Cinema on I-10 (I hate that place). One of her friends suggested Brennen's Steakhouse on the Bayou, so I might go check it out. Saturday is the day.

She never specified. If it were me... I would guess the quantity and the OCD-level of work required to type up all those little pieces of paper, documenting my obsessive thoughts about you, carefully folding them in to the cookies, and baking just right, etc... Usually, guys find some way to have flowers delivered to her apartment, when she's gone and the place is locked. 1-800 flowers must be pretty aggressive...

Just the thought of this has me ROFLMFAO ! I'll bet she couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Again, ME with not so much imagination, took her to the place we had our first date, Escalante's over on San Felipe and Voss. We were coming down from Austin for my birthday, and it was getting a little late, and we actually started arguing about whether to go eat somewhere this late, and I told her I really wanted ot go there because we literally hadn't been back in the 5 years we had been together and I was craving it. She had no clue I had a bunch of stuff set up so she was going and could have sat in the car at that point. LOL! She doesn't know about this but I actually debated popping the question after her little blow up. After the meal I asked her if she was glad we came after all, and she said she, "didn't know what she was thinking, and was sorry for being rude, it was MY birthday after all." Then I got on one knee and showed her the ring.