Houston Metro Sells 6 Trolley Buses To Austin

mike

Metro has sold six surplus trolley buses to Capital Metro in Austin, illustrating the waning of downtown circulator routes served by the special vehicles designed to resemble old-fashion streetcars.

Capital Metro will pay Houston Metro $100,000 for the six trolleys, which were purchased in 1998 for $264,000 each. The value of the six trolleys today is listed at $541,000. Because Houston Metro used federal money to pay the bulk of the cost, it must pass that 82 percent savings along to the Austin transit agency.

Metro's directors approved the transaction Thursday.

31 trolleys still on routes

Houston Metro will keep 31 trolleys to continue service on the remaining two central-city circulator routes

They sold all six for only $100,000? Geez, what a rip-off.

Because Metro bought the trolleys with federal funding, they had to sell them to another federally subsidizedl transportation system. The cost was determined based on real value of the trolleys vs the amount that Metro actually chipped in (something like 18% if I recall correctly).

Because Metro bought the trolleys with federal funding, they had to sell them to another federally subsidizedl transportation system. The cost was determined based on real value of the trolleys vs the amount that Metro actually chipped in (something like 18% if I recall correctly).

I understand, it just seems so low.