Houston History Books

ricco67

While taking a bit of time to wait for Crunch's Milkmaid story, I'd like to ask on advice on which books y'all would recommend for some good reading on the History of Houston (hence the title of the thread).

I'm looking for an indepth history of The Major city regions, the politics and how events shaped policies.

While taking a bit of time to wait for Crunch's Milkmaid story, I'd like to ask on advice on which books y'all would recommend for some good reading on the History of Houston (hence the title of the thread).

I'm looking for an indepth history of The Major city regions, the politics and how events shaped policies.

Clearly, you're prepared to wait for a looong time. :lol: Good call there, I'd say. ;)

While taking a bit of time to wait for Crunch's Milkmaid story, I'd like to ask on advice on which books y'all would recommend for some good reading on the History of Houston (hence the title of the thread). I'm looking for an indepth history of The Major city regions, the politics and how events shaped policies.

May I refer you to the Research Library at the Houston Heritage Society. It's in the building on the eastern edge of Sam Houston Park in downtown Houston.

Here's a direct link to it: http://www.heritagesociety.org/Research%20Lib.html

Clearly, you're prepared to wait for a looong time. :lol: Good call there, I'd say. ;)

I'm a patient guy. If I make the party, I'm sure some booze will loosen that tongue.

The best book on Houston history I ever read was:

"Houston The Unknown City 1836-1946" by Marguerite Johnston.

I have read it numerous times, and I keep it handy for reference.

I've seen that book over at Bookstop but since it was sealed I couldn't get a good look at it. Worth it, eh? What is it, about $50 or so?

May I refer you to the Research Library at the Houston Heritage Society. It's in the building on the eastern edge of Sam Houston Park in downtown Houston.

Here's a direct link to it: http://www.heritagesociety.org/Research%20Lib.html

You wouldn't believe how much information I've gotten from their website. I think its awesome.

Marguerite Johnson's book is good for glimpses of social life, mainly in the aristocratic stratum.

The best coverage of the city's history is probably David G. McComb's Houston: A History, though it is dated (1981).

The best for its time was probably Houston: A History and Guide, published by the Federal Writers' Project as part of the American Guide Series in the Great Depression. You can find this in the Texas Room at the library downtown but it is otherwise pretty rare. I have a copy with dustjacket that I would sell for $40.

• The title was changed to Houston History Books

Archived