Commercial Space Question - Need Help

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking to open a women's clothing boutique and we have found a space ~1500 sq ft. Our first thing to do is find an architect to draw up and certify our plans for the space. I have found out that we need to do an asbestos inspection and make sure we are energy code compliant. The retail space was built in 1990 so I don't think there should be any big problems. Our design requirements (lighting, ADA compliant, etc) are straight vanilla.

What do you think the cost to have an architect draw up and certify plans for this space would be?

Are we missing anything?

I want to have the plans completed before accepting a bid from a contractor because I think this would minimize change orders and confusion.

Any other help or advice would be greatly appriciated.

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking to open a women's clothing boutique and we have found a space ~1500 sq ft. Our first thing to do is find an architect to draw up and certify our plans for the space. I have found out that we need to do an asbestos inspection and make sure we are energy code compliant. The retail space was built in 1990 so I don't think there should be any big problems. Our design requirements (lighting, ADA compliant, etc) are straight vanilla.

What do you think the cost to have an architect draw up and certify plans for this space would be?

Are we missing anything?

I want to have the plans completed before accepting a bid from a contractor because I think this would minimize change orders and confusion.

Any other help or advice would be greatly appriciated.

Find someone that knows a commercial real estate broker, especially a young one who has time to spend with you. You could try various private/smaller shops and usually the landlord pays all closing costs. I worked for a comercial brokerage house, in case you're looking for validity, for a short time and learned a lot and being a tenant, make sure you have someone thoroughly look through your lease, because there are some crazy landlords out there. By Chance, what type of capital have you raised for this and what made you take the jump...I'm looking to go into business for myself, but in another industry, any thoughts about b.plans etc.