Another Houston Superbowl?

SpaceCity

Feedback means Houston a possible repeat for Super Bowl

By JOHN McCLAIN

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

HONOLULU -- Houston hosting another Super Bowl is not a question of if but when, and that time could come as early as 2009 or 2010, a high-ranking NFL executive disclosed this week.

After receiving praise for hosting Super Bowl XXXVIII, Houston has a chance to be awarded one of the next two Super Bowls that are available, the NFL official said from New York this week.

Jacksonville, Detroit, Miami and Phoenix will host the next four Super Bowls. New Orleans, the most popular Super Bowl site, has stadium issues that might not be settled by October, when NFL owners are expected to vote on the 2009 Super Bowl.

San Diego, another popular site, hosted Super Bowl XXXVII, but until the Spanos family, who owns the Chargers, gets its stadium issue settled, it won't get another Super Bowl.

"I've heard nothing but great things from the owners," Texans owner Bob McNair said about Super Bowl XXXVIII. "Each one I've spoken with enjoyed their experience in Houston. I don't think there's any question about us getting another one."

Titans owner Bud Adams shared a suite at Reliant Stadium with Kansas City owner Lamar Hunt. Next door was Buffalo owner Ralph Wilson.

"They had a great time," Adams said from Houston. "Lamar and Ralph were very impressed with the stadium and the way everyone treated them while they were here. They really enjoyed themselves. Houston put its best foot forward, and the league was happy with the way everything went. I think we'll get another Super Bowl."

Former Miami coach Don Shula, an honorary coach at Sunday's Pro Bowl, led the Dolphins to a 24-7 victory over Minnesota in Super Bowl VIII at Rice Stadium.

"It was a great week for me," Shula said. "I was honored at the St. Jude's luncheon, and that was special. Being back in Houston for a Super Bowl 30 years after we won the first one brought back a lot of great memories.

"I was really impressed with Reliant Stadium. That stadium's first class all the way. They didn't miss anything when they built it. My only disappointment was not seeing how the roof worked. I wanted to see it open and close.

"The NFL and everyone I talked to was impressed with the way Houston handled the whole situation. That's going to help them get another Super Bowl."

Tampa Bay receiver Keenan McCardell, a Houston native who resides in Greatwood during the offseason, served as a tour guide for such NFL players as Keyshawn Johnson, Anthony McFarland, Shaun King, Derrick Brooks, Charles Woodson and Fernando Bryant.

"They wanted to see as much of Houston as they could, and I was excited to show them around my hometown," McCardell said. "I wanted to show them Houston in a different light.

"I put them in the middle of everything. Going to the Main Event downtown on Friday and Saturday nights was unbelievable. It was a madhouse, Mardi Gras-ish. But everyone was having fun. They thought the city put on a great show and said they'd like to see Houston get another Super Bowl."

McCardell said his friends spent a lot of time shopping in the Galleria.

"I took them to the Galleria area during the day, and they left a lot of money there," he said. "I mean, you can't help but spend a lot of money at the Galleria.

"I think some of them didn't realize how many great restaurants we have. The restaurants accommodated everybody. And they had a blast at all the clubs, too."

New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan, who played at Westbury High School and Texas Southern, got a hotel room downtown.

"I was able to walk everywhere," he said. "On Friday and Saturday nights, downtown Houston reminded me of New Orleans. Fans could walk everywhere, which makes it so much easier on everybody.

"Having that block party on Main Street made it a better experience for everyone, including the fans. They got to see players everywhere, and they didn't have to go to some exclusive club and get on some exclusive list in order to have fun.

"I think it was a great experience for fans, and, as a player, I enjoyed it because I was able to have a great time and be within walking distance of everything."

Like members of the media, many of the players took advantage of restaurants, golf courses and two Rockets games at Toyota Center.

Just about everyone who stayed at the Hilton Americas-Houston, the NFL headquarters and primary media hotel, and who worked at the Media Center in the George R. Brown Convention Center, was impressed with the facilities.

"But let me tell you something," Strahan said, "you can't beat the stadium. To be able to open and close the roof and control the climate is unparalleled.

"Without a doubt, Houston's going to get another Super Bowl because it was a totally positive experience. I've been to Super Bowls that weren't a positive experience. But everyone I've talked to had a blast and can't wait to come back. I'm already looking forward to the next Super Bowl in Houston."

Of the Panthers and Patriots surveyed at the Pro Bowl, the only complaints came from Carolina players who were housed at the Wyndham Greenspoint. It wasn't the hotel but the distance from downtown and the Galleria area.

"I'll be honest with you," Carolina defensive tackle Kris Jenkins said. "I thought we got the short end of the stick being stuck out at Greenspoint while the Patriots were at the Galleria (InterContinental Hotel). But I don't blame Houston for that. I blame the NFL for putting us there.

"Houston's a fun town. I just wish they'd put us closer to everything. I love going to Houston in the offseason. I'll be back this offseason to party and enjoy myself. Other than staying so far away from everything, I had a great time."

Expect to see more of New England defensive tackle Richard Seymour in Houston.

"I loved it," Seymour said. "Good, old Southern hospitality. I'm thinking of moving there."

Archived