The Fine Arts

Vertigo58

I have been reading numerous books, magazines and literature on various subjects relating to sculture, baroque painting during the Italian and Spanish Renaissance eras, etc.

Just wondered if anyone has or knows of someone that has attempted to do sculpture, stained glass (like in cathedrals), Paint (still life), stenciling, Gothic scrollwork that you might see from centuries ago.

Do we have any Renoirs, Velasquez, Michaelangelo's, Vermeer's in the room?

lameninas2.jpg

Las Menina's - Diego Velasquez

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Meninas

Vermeer%20-%20Girl%20with%20a%20Pearl%20Earring%20(1665).jpg

Girl with Pearl Earring - Johannes Vermeer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_with_a_Pearl_Earring

hals_laughingz_cavalier1624.jpg The Laughing Cavalier - Franz Haals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laughing_Cavalier

Edited by Vertigo58

I have been reading numerous books, magazines and literature on various subjects relating to sculture, baroque painting during the Italian and Spanish Renaissance eras, etc.

Just wondered if anyone has or knows of someone that has attempted to do sculpture, stained glass (like in cathedrals), Paint (still life), stenciling, Gothic scrollwork that you might see from centuries ago.

I paint (primarily acrylics) and have taught painting, drawing, design, and color theory at the post-secondary level.

I paint (primarily acrylics) and have taught painting, drawing, design, and color theory at the post-secondary level.

That is great. I always wanted to see someone sculpt (from a distance chips flying) and see how long it takes to make something like this. I have to try stenciling too! Seems more like just tracing then filling in the trace. I could be mistaken.

bernini_apollo.jpg%7Boption%7D

Edited by Vertigo58

There just aren't many artists doing life-size, ultra-realistic or beaux-arts style sculpture in marble anymore. In today's art market, it would be considered "derivative" - and there's no money in it.

There's nothing particularly exciting about watching a sculptor working in stone. A lot of the carving is done with powered chisels, hammers, drills, sanders, etc, - the same tools used in the stone mason's trade. Sculpture studios are often noisy, messy places where safety gear is necessary.

Stenciling isn't too difficult to learn. There are numerous good books available to get you started. You might want to see what's available at Amazon or Half-Price Books. Texas Art Supply also has books and materials.

There is an antiques place right on Broadway as you enter Galveston. Its on the right in a turn of the century Victorian. As you enter there is a big Art Nouveau stenciled drawing of a 1920's ish flapper. It just boggles the mind to see how or how long it took to complete, but well worth it. I see many fine examples of the era in the "old Houses" mags and books. It's hard to beat the style of those times. May never see again. The bottom right seems more Peter Max though. Perhaps his inspiration?

artnouveau.jpgctr_subimage_3_2728.jpg9780486454269.jpgcap96featlead455.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58