March Mods Of The Month

Willowisp

Hi all,

Some of you have gone to these houses already, as they have been open before, but here's a chance to see them again or go for the first time.

Jason

Join us this Sunday, March 2nd (2-4pm), at the Mods of the Month!

#1: 6219 Reamer (Robindell, near N. Braeswood and Hillcroft)

Fantastic Mid-Century Modern! Huge wooded lot creates a park-like setting. Great opportunity to restore a Mod to your own personal specifications. Original terrazzo flooring in foyer, hall, kitchen & den. Vaulted ceilings in kit, den & guest bedrooms. Intact hall bath. Extra Room is Sunroom w/10+foot ceiling & Saltillo floor. Master has 6 closets! Separate cottage perfect for a home office.

#2: 9610 Moonlight (Meyerland, near S. Braeswood and Chimney Rock)

Meyerland Fabulousness with designer touches throughout! High ceilings, floor to ceiling windows to your own private atrium. All Baths with Granite and Travertine, Kitchen has Stainless dishwasher, Large Double-Ovens, Jenn-air interchangeable range with 4 burners + grill, Huge Master Suite with 2 Custom closets, sitting room with romantic fireplace, Separate dressing area with sink and vanity, plus jetted tub and private water closet. Large Yard with Pool is truly a private oasis.

Neither has a confirmed architect as far as I remember, though you may be right about him mentioning someone. The realtor and I think the Reamer house is by William Floyd, but it's just an educated guess, no original plans.

The Moonlight house reminds me of Krakower/Greene a little. I guess we could try to get the original plans on that one... Yeah, it's right next to a vacant lot, so if you are to buy this house, you'll have a new house going up next door to you and the memory of what once was. I think its best feature is its courtyard and pool area. Oh, hey, I thought that about the Herb Greene house on Braeswood too!

Jason

9610 Moonlight is next to the now demolished Cohen house.

Jason, didn't Russell mention the name of an architect while we were looking at these listings in the last meeting?

Just for fun, if you bought the Reamer house, what would you change, if anything about it? Would you keep the sunburst tiles, the narrow hallway, the mirrored wall or the decorative door? It appears the kitchen has been updated with granite countertops - do you think that was a good choice for this style of home? Just curious because I'm a sentimeltalist and would probably have a hard time replacing some of those things. I guess a good decorater could find ways to make those elements work though.

The Moonlight house reminds me of Krakower/Greene a little. I guess we could try to get the original plans on that one... Yeah, it's right next to a vacant lot, so if you are to buy this house, you'll have a new house going up next door to you and the memory of what once was. I think its best feature is its courtyard and pool area. Oh, hey, I thought that about the Herb Greene house on Braeswood too!

Jason

I can see where it does look like a Krakower/Greene in some ways, but it doesn't have the quirky detailing. Maybe one of Krakower's solo projects, but it doesn't show up on the list Ben Koush gave me.

I spent a couple of hours there yesterday, and the house has started to grow on me... And flared up my allergies.

As for what to keep or change, there will be a lot of work to be done. I don't know if someone is going to be able to keep the bathroom tiles. When we bought our 50 year old house the bathroom subfloor HAD to be replaced, no matter if I wanted the old tile (which I didn't) or not. I'd suspect this house to be the same.

I would return that black tile to carpet in the living dining rooms. I think the kitchen needs to be returned to as original as possible with new laminate countertops, but it might be lower on the list than a lot of things. The decorative door is very cool. Of course I'd try to keep that. I'm not a mirror fan. It would be very hard for me to keep those. I would want to return the master bedroom to its original size as it has been expanded and not so well. That might prompt me to add glass in there if the structure would handle less load bearing wall.

I'm not a fan of the sun room, but might keep it just because it's there, or turn it into some kind of a greenhouse.

There's a lot of work to be done on the grounds too. It could be a haven for a gardener. They need to work on noiseproofing the airconditioner at the adjoining property. Maybe offer to build a wall around their air conditioner or something!

Of course I didn't even mention the roof and foundation. Who knows what work those need...

Overall, I think if you love the floor plan of the house, want a huge yard, and want to restore/remodel a house to your specs, this house could be a great opportunity.

Jason

Just for fun, if you bought the Reamer house, what would you change, if anything about it? Would you keep the sunburst tiles, the narrow hallway, the mirrored wall or the decorative door? It appears the kitchen has been updated with granite countertops - do you think that was a good choice for this style of home? Just curious because I'm a sentimeltalist and would probably have a hard time replacing some of those things. I guess a good decorater could find ways to make those elements work though.

• 2 weeks later...
Overall, I think if you love the floor plan of the house, want a huge yard, and want to restore/remodel a house to your specs, this house could be a great opportunity.

Jason

It's fun to imagine anyway! I'm not sure I would have the energy to do it though.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived