Pearland Neighborhoods N. Of FM 518, E. Of Highway 288

sarahiki

I took a quick drive through Sunrise Lakes, Autumn Lakes, & Southdown today. I've been looking for a house in Silverlake, but wanted to check out some other options. I thought the neighborhoods were pretty, but they felt a little isolated--kind of stuck between retail and the freeway. I'm interested in other people's impressions of these areas, especially if you live there. Thanks, from a potential future neighbor!

I know exactly what you're going through.

Early in our home-search, we were torn between Avalon Terrace and SCR. We ultimately decided on Southern Trails, which is west of 518, adjacent to SCR.

I asked a similar question last year, and got some terrific responses. Here are some of the Pros and Cons of buying a home in a smaller community (Sunrise Lakes, Avalon Terrace, Autumn Lakes, etc.) versus a large master plan (SCR, Country Place, Silverlake, etc.):

Pros:

- Pearland ISD (Schools)

- Lower Taxes

- Lower HOAs (sometimes)

- Often less expensive.

Cons:

- Not as scenic as the big master plans.

- Not as many local, social amenities (clubs, groups and whatnot)

- Distance from 288 (518 traffic is often very bad).

- Not knowing what will occupy nearby empty land (shopping malls, self-storage, etc.)

Thanks to the TheNiche, Timnwendy, Musicman, and Vicman for the input...

Here's the thread I posted in its entirety:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...ic=9409&hl=

I took a quick drive through Sunrise Lakes, Autumn Lakes, & Southdown today. I've been looking for a house in Silverlake, but wanted to check out some other options. I thought the neighborhoods were pretty, but they felt a little isolated--kind of stuck between retail and the freeway. I'm interested in other people's impressions of these areas, especially if you live there. Thanks, from a potential future neighbor!

I have family that lives in southdown for about 15 years now. while it is a bit older than these other communities it is a great value for the area and you can't beat the location for getting in and out.

I have family that lives in southdown for about 15 years now. while it is a bit older than these other communities it is a great value for the area and you can't beat the location for getting in and out.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about the location. And I like older neighborhoods; the trees are bigger and everything feels more established. Thanks for the feedback.

I have a co-worker who has lived in Southdown for close to 20 years, and I second the recommendation.

Not that you were asking about this, but I would look farther east. Mykawa can sometimes be a good 288 alternative, and now that the railroad overpass is finished, Bailey Road can get you to 288 (via Southfork) much quicker than 518 can.

I have a co-worker who has lived in Southdown for close to 20 years, and I second the recommendation.

Not that you were asking about this, but I would look farther east. Mykawa can sometimes be a good 288 alternative, and now that the railroad overpass is finished, Bailey Road can get you to 288 (via Southfork) much quicker than 518 can.

I didn't think Baily Road connected to Southfork. Any neighborhoods in particular to the east that you like? I haven't looked further east than Huntington Park (which I like very much). I agree though about Southfork over 518; that's one of the reasons I prefer sections of Silverlake to neighborhoods north of 518.

Thanks for the recommendation regarding Southdown.

I didn't think Baily Road connected to Southfork. Any neighborhoods in particular to the east that you like? I haven't looked further east than Huntington Park (which I like very much). I agree though about Southfork over 518; that's one of the reasons I prefer sections of Silverlake to neighborhoods north of 518.

Thanks for the recommendation regarding Southdown.

It doesn't. You have to go north on CR 90 to Southfork, but that's not very far. Neighborhoods:

Avalon Terrace, Audubon Place, Cabot Cove, Springfield, Westwood Village, Ravenwood Estates, Lawrence Place, Park Village Estates, Village at Mary's Creek, River Mist, etc. Lots of them off Magnolia both east and west of 35. I might even be tempted by Corrigan now that the drainage projects are nearly complete.

• The title was changed to Pearland Neighborhoods N. Of FM 518, E. Of Highway 288

Archived