Buyer Looking For A Mod To Restore

grayhomes

I have a buyer (i'm a Realtor) that has owned homes in Palm Springs (mod ones)... they love mod.. and have put me up to the task of finding a mod here to restore. They are specific about area in wanting to be close to the Loop and preferrably inside the Loop. They will not go to the east side of Houston or Memorial.

If anyone knows of a home that someone is willing to sell that is not listed OR if you know one that is listed or new to the market, etc... please let me know. They just got back from Palm Springs and are jonesing for a house.

Thanks!!

That's a big can of worms and a tall order.

How much restoration $$$? How much for the house in the first place?

Do they want a "pedigree" or architect name attached to the house?

Inside the loop is really tough. There are moderns, but they are few and far between. Just outside 610 in Meyerland is tough, but not impossible to find a modern.

What style of modern? organic, contemporary, ranch, or miesian?

The two that come to mind are The Formica House and DJ Stephenson's mod in Robindell.

I can tell you that your clients need to jump when they find one that is in the right ballpark. No house is going to be perfect.

You kind of have to pick your battles. If location is the most important thing then don't get picky over condition. If condition is important then don't get picky over location. If architect name is important then don't get picky over anything else etc...

Good luck. If you're a realtor you already have an edge on finding the houses first.

Jason

I have a buyer (i'm a Realtor) that has owned homes in Palm Springs (mod ones)... they love mod.. and have put me up to the task of finding a mod here to restore. They are specific about area in wanting to be close to the Loop and preferrably inside the Loop. They will not go to the east side of Houston or Memorial.

If anyone knows of a home that someone is willing to sell that is not listed OR if you know one that is listed or new to the market, etc... please let me know. They just got back from Palm Springs and are jonesing for a house.

Thanks!!

They are definitley open to Meyerland... but probably not much further out than that on the West. Timbergrove on the north.

Price up to about $300k-$500k pre restoration. They'd probably go higher in price for the right place.

Has to have room for a pool.

Doesn't have to be brand name architect.

Robindell would be too far out for them.

Square foot minimum of about 1700.. probably needs to be up over 2000 s.f.

They have the ability financially, know how, and team of people to do a larger scale restoration than just cosmetic.

And of course they prefer to find one intact vs. one that has been remuddled. Although, they can't be that picky.

I know I have opened a can of worms... but with little on the market, I figured I'd see what I can come up with.

To that I say, Welcome to Houston, we need people like you!

Meyerland is my favorite neighborhood, but it won't be for long. There are just too many new houses invading the space.

Ayreshire is the best place for ranches. If you can find a good undisturbed ranch in there, it's just as great as a modern. I think that's as close in as you can get under $500K. Search this forum for Ayreshire and you should find two or more homes in the past couple of years. I've gotten into both of them. I haven't seen the Lars Bang at the end of Durness in awhile (very California). I wonder how it's doing... The other is on Solway. They did a great job fixing their house up and live in it now.

- before picture for an idea of what's over there - http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/ai...se/IMG_1138.jpg

Do they have a time frame?

This is a good topic to have on here. To discuss the ins and outs of what it takes to save a modern.

Here's the topic of the house on Durness we need to revisit. It was in rough shape last year around this time. Maybe I'll drive by there today...

Jason

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=9815

They are definitley open to Meyerland... but probably not much further out than that on the West. Timbergrove on the north.

Price up to about $300k-$500k pre restoration. They'd probably go higher in price for the right place.

Has to have room for a pool.

Doesn't have to be brand name architect.

Robindell would be too far out for them.

Square foot minimum of about 1700.. probably needs to be up over 2000 s.f.

They have the ability financially, know how, and team of people to do a larger scale restoration than just cosmetic.

And of course they prefer to find one intact vs. one that has been remuddled. Although, they can't be that picky.

I know I have opened a can of worms... but with little on the market, I figured I'd see what I can come up with.

We're exploring Braes Heights and Ayrshire since they are closest in. The more modern the better for them. Lots of glass preferred. They love terazzo floors. They'll go ranch if they have to.

Willow Meadows is definitely an area that I am encouraging as well IF I can find something.

As for time frame, I have represented them on various projects and houses, they act quickly once they find what they want. This will be a "baby" of a project for them if they can find a good one. They want to find something fun and challenging to work on.

Is anyone else seeing the irony in regards to the Cohen house while reading this thread? Granted, they may not have cared a bit for that house, but having the chance and the money to restore it would've been something to jump on.

"Is anyone else seeing the irony in regards to the Cohen house while reading this thread? Granted, they may not have cared a bit for that house, but having the chance and the money to restore it would've been something to jump on."

Yeah, I'm right there with you... first thing I thought of when reading this thread. Let's hope these buyers can locate a property of architectural significance.

I drove by the house on Durness and met the owner. It looks amazing! Pictures from the owner are forthcoming.

Driving around the Ayrshire/Braeswood Place/Old Braeswood area, there still are quite a few mod/ranch houses. But they don't go up for sale that often, and I've got dibs on the Solomon House...

http://www.houstonmod.org/buildings.aspx?sub=swu&id=58

Just joking, of course.

Jason

"Is anyone else seeing the irony in regards to the Cohen house while reading this thread? Granted, they may not have cared a bit for that house, but having the chance and the money to restore it would've been something to jump on."

Yeah, I'm right there with you... first thing I thought of when reading this thread. Let's hope these buyers can locate a property of architectural significance.

I'm a Willow Meadows resident and can highly recommend the area (off West Belfort and S.Post Oak). There is some new construction however the majority of what takes place in this neighborhood is renovations - lots of renovations. Many older residents who've lived here for MANY years dying and younger people moving in and renovating. Infact, that is the reason why we purchased here to renovate an original Ranch and was purchased from the original owner. The values went up 22% in '07 and have seen a continued and very steady increase over the years. Location is GREAT!! Immediate access to 610. The other areas that I've seen some interesting potential MOD renovations is in Meyerland and Westbury (but I'm thinking Westbury needs some more transition) Willow Meadows, South of West Bellfort isn't zoned to Bellaire High School, so it seems that most of the residents on this side have their kids in private schools anyway. Just thought I'd make you aware of that fact. I wish you the best!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived