New York lofts Gettin' Ziggy With It

Not surprising. I think it sometimes seems that the trendier architects believe that buildings must be crystalline, look like shards of glass, or at least have facades that are primarily glass. I've read other articles pointing out that this style is frequently not much appreciated by a lot of NYC residents, who retain an appreciation of old-fashioned stone, brick, and mortar. De gustibus non est disputandum, as they say.

I find the comments very interesting. Not much love for more glass in NY. Is this a common thing in design/critic circles?

I think being negative about anything is a common thread in design/critic circles. The louder the critics wail about bad architecture the more often history proves them wrong (see The Eiffel Tower, Cloud Gate, John Hancock Center, Transamerica Pyramid, etc...)

As a correlation, it's my observation that the more the critics praise something, the more likely it is that history will consider it crap (Tower 49, that experimental music place in Seattle, any number of the thousands of brutalist mini-towers infecting the American landscape).

In a city like New York you need more glass to preserve and transmit light. You can put up bland boring brick walls in the Midwest and Southwest where there's lots of space and sunshine.