On The Air: Radiohaif

editor

It's playin some pretty cool tunes tonight. Who created the playlist? Is there a place we can get it?

I made the playlist. Here's the current one:

HAIF_SWEEP_1.mp3
Peter_Gabriel_-_Games_Without_Frontiers.mp3
Conjure_One_-_Center_Of_The_Sun.mp3
The_Judys_-_Re-runs.mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_1.mp3
Warren_Zevon_-_Looking_For_The_Next_Best_Thing.mp3
Bob_Schneider_-__Come_With_Me_Tonight.mp3
Thompson_Twins_-_No_Peace_for_the_Wicked.mp3
Crash_Test_Dummies_-_Afternoons___Coffeespoons.mp3
Falco_-_Der_Kommissar.mp3
B-52_s_-_Debbie.mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_2.mp3
The_Judybats_-_The_Wanted_Man.mp3
11_Piggyback.mp3
Pulp_-_Common_People__Remix_.mp3
Sixpence_None_the_Richer_-_Kiss_Me.mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_3.mp3
Live_-_Selling_The_Drama.mp3
The_Octanes_-_K-Town_Breakdown.mp3
B-52_s_-_Song_For_A_Future_Generation.mp3
HAIF_Note_1.mp3
Moby_-_Natural_Blues.mp3
Conjure_One_-_Manic_Star.mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_2.mp3
Belly_-_Feed_The_Tree.mp3
Conjure_One_-_Sleep.mp3
Crash_Test_Dummies_-_Mmm_Mmm_Mmm_Mmm.mp3
HAIF_ID_Heard_On_HAIF_One-1.mp3
Dire_Straits_-_Telegraph_Road__Live_Remix_.mp3
Moby_-_Extreme_Ways.mp3
INOJ_-_Time_After_Time.mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_2.mp3
Fountains_of_Wayne_-_Radiation_Vibe.mp3
INXS_-_Truganini.mp3
Murray_Head_-_One_Night_In_Bangkok.mp3
The_Judys_-_Watching_My_TV.mp3
Pet_Shop_Boys_-_Suburbia.mp3
Madeleine_Peyroux_-_Im_All_Right.mp3
Echo___The_Bunnymen_-_Bedbugs_And_Ballyhoo.mp3
Chumbawamba_-_I_m_In_Trouble_Again.mp3
Deep_Forest_-_Cafe_Europa.mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_1.mp3
Bob_Schneider_-_I_m_Good_Now.mp3
Genesis_-_Home_By_The_Sea.mp3
INXS_-_One_X_One.mp3
Delerium_-_Angelicus.mp3
Modern_English_-_I_Melt_With_You.mp3
Crash_Test_Dummies_-_God_Shuffled_His_Feet.mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_3.mp3
Moby_-_Porcelain.mp3
New_Order_-_Your_Silent_Face.mp3
The_Beloved_-_Lose_Yourself_in_Me.mp3
Sarah_McLachlan_-_Possession.mp3
The_Octanes_-_Someting_s_Gotta_Change.mp3
Information_Society_-Peace_and_Love__Inc..mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_3.mp3
Genesis_-_Jesus_He_Knows_Me.mp3
Underworld_-_Dark_and_Long_Hall_s_Mix.mp3
The_Bird_and_the_Bee_-_Because.mp3
Too_Much_Joy_-_Donna_Everywhere.mp3
The_Octanes_-_Brandin__Iron_Blues.mp3
KHCW.mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_1.mp3
Icehouse_-_Great_Southern_Land.mp3
The_Judys_-_Girls__Girls__Girls.mp3
Judybats_-_Don_t_Drop_The_Baby.mp3
Big_Country_-_In_a_Big_Country.mp3
Loop_Guru_-_Diwana.mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_4.mp3
Peter_Gabriel_-_Red_Rain.mp3
B-52_s_-_Revolution_Earth.mp3
Trashcan_Snatras_-_Obscurity_Knocks.mp3
Moby_-_Why_Does_My_Heart_Feel_So_Bad.mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_5.mp3
Jellyfish_-_Baby_s_Coming_Back.mp3
Mari_Wilson_-_Perhaps__Perhaps__Perhaps.mp3
Warren_Zevon_-_Roland_The_Headless_Thompson_Gunner.mp3
The_Bird_and_the_Bee_-_I_m_a_Broken_Heart.mp3
Echo_and_the_Bunnymen_-_Bring_On_The_Dancing_Horses.mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_2.mp3
B-52_s_-_Mesopotamia.mp3
Falco_-_Vienna_Calling.mp3
Genesis_-_The_Brazilian.mp3
Orchestral_Manoeuvres_in_the_Dark_-_If_You_Leave.mp3
Kid_Creole_and_the_Coconuts_-_Stool_Pigeon.mp3
HAIF_Promo_Bands_Email_A.mp3
Warren_Zevon_-_Mohammed_s_Radio.mp3
Talking_Heads_-_Nothing_But_Flowers.mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_4.mp3
Chumbawamba_-_Pass_It_Along.mp3
K.D._Lang_-_Je_Fais_La_Planche.mp3
The_Bird_and_the_Bee_-_Again_and_Again.mp3
HAIF_SWEEP_5.mp3
Judybats_-_Convalescing_In_Spain.mp3
The_Tragically_Hip_-Ahead_By_A_Century.mp3
Pet_Shop_Boys_-_Where_The_Streets_Have_No_Name__Can_t_Take_My_Eyes_Off_Of_You_.mp3

My goal is to replace most of the songs with Houston/Texas bands, but I somehow have never gotten around to finding the bands and contacting them.

When radioHAIF first went on I got some great suggestions from HAIFers for local music, but not much since then.

gallery_1_59_73951.jpg

Radio HAIF is on the air.

As part of this forum's continuing effort to promote Houston, foster communication between Houstonians, and create a sense of community we are launching Radio HAIF.

At first, the music you hear on Radio HAIF will be from mainstream bands that everybody knows. But the goal of the station is to give emerging artists from Houston and the rest of Texas the exposure they have been sorely lacking. For every ZZ Top and Beyonce to come out of the Bayou City there are dozens of equally talented bands and singers who for one reason or another simply don't get the airplay they deserve.

That's where Radio HAIF comes in.

What's on Radio HAIF?

Radio HAIF is a community-driven station with music produced by Texans for Texans. There is no "format." Over-formatting is what killed radio in the 90's. The music is simply "good" music.

• It could be a high school garage band from Katy playing a favorite song.
  • It could be a bunch of guys from the West Loop who get together after work to blow of stress through a jam session.
  • It could be an old man with a harmonica from the East End with a song in his heart and not a penny in his pocket.
  • It could be a cheerleader from Sugar Land who thinks she's the next big thing.
  • It could be an amateur operatic club from The Heights doing an aria.
  • It could be a group of migrant workers in El Campo who know how to work a squeezebox like no one's business.

How can I listen to Radio HAIF?

Radio HAIF is streamed over the internet via a service called Live365. It is possible to listen to Radio HAIF through a regular web browser like you have at home or at work. If you don't want to use your web browser, you can listen through a standalone program called Radio365. It is also possible to listen to Radio HAIF in iTunes. And when you're on the move you can use many Windows Mobile smartphones and PDAs.

How's the sound quality?

The sound quality will vary depending on your speakers or headphones. Generally speaking, if you're listening through headphones or good speakers, it approximates the quality of FM radio. The stream is actually 32kbps. While this isn't the highest quality we can deliver, it places the least burden on many people's computers and allows more people to enjoy Radio HAIF since a portion of our regular HAIF readers are on dialup. The stream will easily play through a 56k dialup connection. As more HAIFers migrate to high-speed connectivity we will increase the quality.

How can I get heard on Radio HAIF?

That's the best part of Radio HAIF -- you help decide what's on the air. If you have a band of your own, or maybe your neighbor's kids have a band, or you see some great group at a local bar -- let us know about them and let them know about us.

If you have a CD, send it our way. Use the standard HAIF mailing address.

Another way to submit music is through the email address bands@radiohaif.com. Here are a few guidelines:

• Songs that arrive via e-mail must be in MP3 format.
  • MP3 files must be properly tagged with the artist name, song title, and album title.
  • If you have a record publisher, that should also be noted. Radio HAIF doesn't care if you have a record deal or not; we'll play you either way. We just need to know for royalty calculations and copyright auditing.
  • Songs must be understandable. I'm sure you're very proud of your flaming speed metal band, but it's going to sound like someone trimming a hedge underwater when played through the internet. Even the biggest head bangers did a ballad every once in a while. We're more likely to play those.
  • Songs must be work-friendly. Most people surf HAIF from work. And if they listen to Radio HAIF at work, we don't want to get them fired. Try to find a way to express yourself without using expletives.

Again, there is no specific genre of music on HAIF. Send us your honky-tonk boogies, your blues riffs, your rocking jam sessions. We'll listen to it all and pick the best stuff. We cannot guarantee that we'll play your stuff just because you submit it. But when a song is added to the playlist, we'll let you know.

What about commercials?

Unfortunately, at this point Radio HAIF runs commercials from the hosting company Live365. We don't have any control over that right now. Hopefully we will get enough regular Radio HAIF listeners that we can shell out the extra money to dump the Live365 commercials and just have good local HAIF advertisers. But for now since we're just starting out, we're stuck with their ads.

Future plans for Radio HAIF

Future plans include expanding from simply music to include news and talk. No, not the horrors that you hear on AM radio. I'm talking about short interviews with people like local celebrities, reporters, the HAIF moderators, and even HAIFers like you. The visitors to HAIF are a lot more interesting than you might think.

We're also exploring a couple of other possibilities -- an audio version of the HAIF community calendar that you see at the bottom of the main screen, and possibly regular traffic and weather updates. These will be worked on in the coming months.

When can I hear Radio HAIF?

Right now Radio HAIF is being tested by a few selected HAIFers. We hope to be live soon. If you'd like to join the test, just send me a PM.

So there it is -- Radio HAIF. If you want to help, know a talented musician, have a great idea, or just want to give a little encouragement we're eager to hear from you. Please post your thoughts below.

What's the stream link so I can listen in iTunes?

The good people over at Gulf Coast Records sent over the latest Grady Gaines and the Texas Upsetters CD called "Jump Start." I'm listening to it now and will add some tracks to radioHAIF later today.

CDcover.jpg

Archived