Thailand approves a new tallest skyscraper

I think some people put two and two together and got 22. They saw cheap land, cheap labor, cheap material costs, and lots of tourists and decided it would be a gold mine. Meanwhile the people they have building skyscrapers in Thailand can't read or write let alone interpret the instructions from their supervisors so you end up with incredibly shoddy construction.

After spending time in Thailand I don't get frustrated with dumb people working behind the counter at menial jobs in America. They're freaking rocket surgeons compared to the average Thai. What's amazing to me is that such a large population living in such ignorance and poverty is so docile (except in the south where Muslim extremists are blowing up Buddhist monks). Most other places it's the formula for revolution.

Here are a couple of pictures of abandoned Thai skyscrapers:

OB-AN434_GHOST__20070726104907.jpg

bangkokghosttower.jpg

bangkokghosttower2.jpg

OB-AN425_GHOST__20070726105012.jpg

OB-AN426_GHOST__20070726105005.jpg

OB-AN466_GHOST__20070726140638.jpg

Most of those photos are from a Wall Street Journal article on the situation.

It's also amazing to me that in Bangkok you have thousands of children wearing rags and starving to death in rat-infested dirt ditches, but then you have all of this vacant potential housing. These are projects that the developers simply walked away from. If the king would spend more time worrying about the welfare of his citizens and less time waging a huge PR and legal war to promote himself to God-like status, Thailand might not be the rancid armpit of Southeast Asia.

(Can you tell I had a bad time in Thailand?)

Just a little.

It only has a little to do with getting shaken down for bribes by immigration authorities while I was there. I know many a time I've had to send someone who works for me down to Mexico with some extra money to pay bribes on their way back, but it was the first time it happened to me personally.

• 1 year later...
What's amazing to me is that such a large population living in such ignorance and poverty is so docile (except in the south where Muslim extremists are blowing up Buddhist monks).

It's likely the Thai character - According to the KnowPhuket website displays of violence/anger are against Thai culture.

I particularly like this article: http://www.knowphuket.com/Articles/2007051...be-grateful.htm "She should be Grateful !" - According to this many Thai love living in Thailand and are not afraid of their previous lives

Archived