How Do You Find Historical Home Sale Prices?

istanbul

How do you guys find out how much a home is sold for? I checked the zillow for some homes in Houston and it did not give the sale prices for any of them. I also checked the domania and few other websites with no luck. Please help.

Thanks to our wonderful Legislature forever beholden to real estate interests, sale prices are not public information any more. Thats why this info is not on Zillow. So there are two ways: 1) get access to MLS database from your friendly realtor or 2) get access to this info by filing property appraisal protest at HCAD - then appraisal district by supposed to provide this info to you.

This is not true

Sales amount in MLS does not represent the true sale price of a property. Because that figure is entered by a realtor/broker and it is not audited nor supervised. So they can not be trusted.

Ask any realtor, they will say the same thing. Actually some of those amounts are entered just to mislead a future potential buyer's realtor/broker.

Usually this amount is inflated so that in the future, if you want to sell you can ask for more.

I even went to County records, and the clerk in the County office told me that the records that they have only represents the loan that the buyer received not the total price he had given.

To sum up, in Texas, there is no way to find out how much a property was purchased before.

State of Texas should do something about this. This is crazy.

Edited by bostonhater

This is not true

Sales amount in MLS does not represent the true sale price of a property. Because that figure is entered by a realtor/broker and it is not audited nor supervised. So they can not be trusted.

Ask any realtor, they will say the same thing. Actually some of those amounts are entered just to mislead a future potential buyer's realtor/broker.

Usually this amount is inflated so that in the future, if you want to sell you can ask for more.

I even went to County records, and the clerk in the County office told me that the records that they have only represents the loan that the buyer received not the total price he had given.

To sum up, in Texas, there is no way to find out how much a property was purchased before.

What are you basing this on or did you just decide all this one day?

This is not true

I am sure that not all of the MLS data is accurate. In my experience, however, data has always been correct (I grant you that I do not have a statistically significant sampling). I would say that a combo of sale price history with historical MLS listings (which reflect posted prices on HAR) should give a pretty good idea. That being said, lack of trasparent info is appaling - the recent law passed by our legislature making sale data not available to the public is a real shame - clearly work of real estate lobby (if you can only get info from them, they have a lot more power vs. FSBO sellers and independent buyers).

This is not true

this is possibly the dumbest thing i have ever read. i'm going to risk losing my license so i can inflate a sales price by a few thousand bucks??? why on earth would the buyer's agent go along with this?

i love all the conspiracy theory's people have about our industry...very amusing :)

texas is a non-disclosure state...so that means buyer's don't have to disclose what they paid on their home. if they want, they can volunteer this information to HCAD, but it's not required.

this is possibly the dumbest thing i have ever read. i'm going to risk losing my license so i can inflate a sales price by a few thousand bucks??? why on earth would the buyer's agent go along with this?

i love all the conspiracy theory's people have about our industry...very amusing :)

Hi there. Welcome to HAIF. Please familiarize yourself with the button on your keyboard labeled "Shift". It causes letters to be capitalized. Use it.

It isn't just a theory (whose plural, incidentally, is not "theory's" but rather theories). It is a documented fact that Musicmen are pulling shenanigans concerning disclosure of prices. There was an article in the Express-News a while back on this topic:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/sto...re.1c288bf.html

thanks for the grammar lesson! Realwhore is pretty clever too!

however, the link you provided had nothing to do with the post i was responding to. thanks though!

Sure it does. The article discusses Musicmen who pull listings out of the MLS before closing so they don't have to enter the sales price info.

From the article:

"The San Antonio Board of Realtors has started leveling $500 fines to real estate agents who pull listings from MLS just before a home closes and who don't report sales prices."

It's completely retarded the way the system is set up. It keeps buyers' agents in business. If you have time to go around and find the home you want to buy, basically the only good reason to hire a buyer's agent for new construction is to get comps in the area. I just finished buying a townhome (without a buyer's agent), and the comps were the one piece of data I would have liked to have. I ended up getting them through the seller's agent, but not without some negotiating. The process needs to be improved...a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
How do you guys find out how much a home is sold for? I checked the zillow for some homes in Houston and it did not give the sale prices for any of them. I also checked the domania and few other websites with no luck. Please help.

VoxProperty.com has historical sale prices, going back several years. A realtor can provide the same information, and also more recent sales. Good luck.