Interesting New Mod

Floydhouse1953

I showed this house today. It has tons of potential but needs quite a bit of work. It's been neglected for some time. The sunroom is an add on. Strangly enough there is no direct access from the garage to the house. If it were raining you would get wet. However little has been changed since it was new (mostly just the countertop and sink). The lot is huge but has a drainage easement over much of the lot restricting what you can do on the back of the lot. For the right buyer it's really an opportunity to have a spacious home on a overly spacious lot not far from the loop for a reasonable price.

Interesting new mod open Sunday Feb 3rd, 2-4 pm

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=6274244

It seems like the thing with mods is if they didn't update-away all the great original details, they also didn't spend on some routine maintenance or updates of the "systems." If they spent money updating electrical, HVAC, etc, then they usually spent money on "updating" the doors to oval leaded glass, adding crown molding and fluted trim with bulls-eye rosettes, and my all time favorite, lots and lots of 99 cent ceramic tile everywhere.

You really have to pick your battles if you are mod shopping, because you are usually going to have a battle or two to fight! Personally I would rather fix up one than try to undo bad remuddling, but that's just me.

Every now and then you come across that rare beast that is both basically original but well maintained. I just worked a deal on one a 6000 sq ft one like that where everything looks like the day it was built. Absolutely pristine. For mod shoppers those ones are the true needles in the haystack.

I hope someone good gets this Robindell one. It looks like a good find.

2500 s.f. for under 200K? And a huge lot... with a $25 annual maintenance fee... what gives? Viewing the property from Google Earth give a decent indication of the lay of the land. What facility does this house back-up against?

This one certainly seems like a diamond in the rough... but be sure to do comprehensive due diligence. Are there original plans? I would assume not as such would have been mentioned. Nevertheless, this one automatically qualifies for one of the historic landmark criteria (50 years old). If someone takes this project on they would certainly be in a position to qualify for 100% tax exemption assuming they embark on a full restoration/renovation.

Does this house fall within the Meyerland Civic Associations reach (i.e. If yes, do they possess plans)?

2500 s.f. for under 200K? And a huge lot... with a $25 annual maintenance fee... what gives? Viewing the property from Google Earth give a decent indication of the lay of the land. What facility does this house back-up against?

This one certainly seems like a diamond in the rough... but be sure to do comprehensive due diligence. Are there original plans? I would assume not as such would have been mentioned. Nevertheless, this one automatically qualifies for one of the historic landmark criteria (50 years old). If someone takes this project on they would certainly be in a position to qualify for 100% tax exemption assuming they embark on a full restoration/renovation.

Does this house fall within the Meyerland Civic Associations reach (i.e. If yes, do they possess plans)?

No, Meyerland Civic Association is in Meyerland, this is Robindell, a completely different neighborhood.

I have said before that I thought Robindell was one of the few relatively close in bargain areas left. This house is a great example of that. Nothing "gives," it is just one of those areas where you can still get a good value, for now!

As for qualifying for the historic landmark, "automatic" would not be a word I would use, just ask anyone who has gone through the process to obtain one. It should be able to qualify easily though. I believe the tax exemption that might be obtained is for city taxes only for a period of 15 years. I am not 100% sure on that.

If someone is "mod shopping" I would encourage them to look at this one. It looks really promising. I will have to get out and see it in person.

"No, Meyerland Civic Association is in Meyerland, this is Robindell, a completely different neighborhood."

The listing notes Meyerland as the market area, hence the assumption.

"I have said before that I thought Robindell was one of the few relatively close in bargain areas left. This house is a great example of that. Nothing "gives," it is just one of those areas where you can still get a good value, for now!"

School district and flood plain are likely to be key issues (especially flood plain). Follow-up: this property is well within the 100 year flood plane: http://maps2.tsarp.org/tsarp/

"As for qualifying for the historic landmark, "automatic" would not be a word I would use, just ask anyone who has gone through the process to obtain one. It should be able to qualify easily though. I believe the tax exemption that might be obtained is for city taxes only for a period of 15 years. I am not 100% sure on that."

I stated that one of the criteria would be met -- the 50 year old aspect -- not all criteria. As for the process of obtaining a designation, it's not terribly difficult: Research and the ability to write are pretty much it (there needs to be a compelling history either associated with the architect, owners or both). Tax exemption -- if one qualifies -- locks one into the rate present when the house is offically designated.

"If someone is "mod shopping" I would encourage them to look at this one. It looks really promising. I will have to get out and see it in person."

I don't think that it would be difficult to come up with an interestng history of the home since the original owner was Bob Kuldell. I read that he was close to Howard Hughes and that Howard once set Bob up on a date with Jean Harlow. He was the original developer of Robindell and named it after his daughter Robin. I'm sure that with a little effort anyone coud dig up lots of stories to submit for designation.

I stated that one of the criteria would be met -- the 50 year old aspect -- not all criteria. As for the process of obtaining a designation, it's not terribly difficult: Research and the ability to write are pretty much it (there needs to be a compelling history either associated with the architect, owners or both). Tax exemption -- if one qualifies -- locks one into the rate present when the house is offically designated.

Yeah, I hate "undoing." I would much rather do all of the updates myself.

Yes, Robindell is a good value, but this home is on the higher side for the neighborhood; neverytheless, I'm going to see it today. I'm a sucker for those flat roofs.

The real question is what deal involved an original mod with over 6000 sq. ft.? I'm looking for one of those needles in the haystack of Houston!

One thing that non-Realtors can't see is in the agent remarks:

Home has been tested for mold and sheetrock has been removed in the affected areas. Remediation needed.

That might provide a little more insight. Perhaps missjanel can give a little more info on how bad the mold situation appears to be, since she has seen it already.

"One thing that non-Realtors can't see is in the agent remarks:

Home has been tested for mold and sheetrock has been removed in the affected areas. Remediation needed. That might provide a little more insight."

Mold can be mitigated and is not as troubling as the 100 year flood plane issue. As I stated earlier: School district and flood plain are likely to be key issues (especially flood plain). Follow-up: this property is well within the 100 year flood plane: http://maps2.tsarp.org/tsarp/

In other words, this property has likely flooded and will likely flooded again. Whether or not someone wishes to take the chance and live with that knowledge -- plus flood insurance costs -- is their call. Having had four feet of water in my then townhome -- which was in the 100 year flood plane -- I would not opt to live within such nor would I encourage anyone to take the chance.

6219 Reamer has never flooded. Just because something is within the floodplain (as is most of Houston) doesn't mean that particular house has flooded. The mold is from previous roof leaks. As far as schools go, the people with kids who I know who live in Robindell send them to private schools.

The real question is what deal involved an original mod with over 6000 sq. ft.? I'm looking for one of those needles in the haystack of Houston!

Glenbrook, (where else?) right across from Stolitx. Its a one-owner and the decor is a definite artifact from the area's "Little Italy" days, but once you get past the Soprano's furniture ladled in gilt and cherubs, the festooned curtains and questionable carpet choices, there is a meticulously maintained mod with step down living areas, lots of floor to ceiling glass, flagstone walls, 2 fireplaces, 3 dining rooms, 4.5 baths, every closet cedar lined, 3 bedrooms, and gymnasium room sizes. Besides flooring and new window treatments, it doesn't need much of anything. The buyers are coming from Cole's Crossing out in Cypress.

I hate to be the Negative Nellie, but to say this house needs lots of work is a gross understatement. This is the second 50's house I've been in this month that looks like it's been virtually abandoned for decades. Lots of sheetrock torn out for the mold remediation that was never finished per the realtor, missing flooring and subfloors, rotted wood inside walls, evidence of foundation problems in the back bedrooms...the list goes on. The back yard is absolutely huge but looks like a jungle and the outbuilding is falling apart too. This neighborhood was new to me and there's tons of MCM's, many of them looking fairly pristine. Although this house was surely a showpiece in its day, and could be again with enough money thrown at it, I just can't see why anyone would spend a fortune on this one when there are others all around that won't take near as much restoration. I'm starting to think maybe I'm not cut out to be a MCM owner...on the other hand my '49 house in Norhill was never allowed to get in such deplorable shape, most of the much older homes in my 'hood still look pretty good. It will be interesting to see if/when, and how much this one sells for. The neighborhood is not valuable enough to do a teardown so it will really have to be a MCM buff with vision and deep pockets.

"I hate to be the Negative Nellie, but to say this house needs lots of work is a gross understatement... looks like it's been virtually abandoned for decades. Lots of sheetrock torn out for the mold remediation that was never finished... missing flooring and subfloors, rotted wood inside walls, evidence of foundation problems in the back bedrooms...the list goes on."

Well, the listing price says it all in my opinion. One could probably purchase this home for 180K given it's state -- then you would be putting back into it (at a minimum) 220K. Trust me on this. So the question is: Do the neighborhood comps indicate a 2587 s.f., three bedroom/two bath w/ and attached garage -- this is an advantage -- worth $500k is salable?

"The back yard is absolutely huge but looks like a jungle and the outbuilding is falling apart too."

There certainly could be value in a lot this size -- especially if you could add a second structure. But you will also have to maintain a sizable chunk of land.

"Although this house was surely a showpiece in its day, and could be again with enough money thrown at it, I just can't see why anyone would spend a fortune on this one when there are others all around that won't take near as much restoration."

The fundimental question here is whether or not you wish to expend the time/effort/money for a house well within the 100 year flood plain -- regardless of some who feel this is not an issue. It is a significant issue and if a home is in the 100 year flood plain, it will eventually be flooded. That's assured.

"The neighborhood is not valuable enough to do a teardown so it will really have to be a MCM buff with vision and deep pockets."

It's certainly doable. But it ain't going to be an easy gig.

"I'm starting to think maybe I'm not cut out to be a MCM owner... "

Don't give up based on your feelings about this one. You probably had expectations based on the listing that once there, were quickly dashed. The good news is that you reviewed the property with a critical eye and realized what it would take make this house a viable home. This is not a HGTV $45K fixer-upper and "gosh, what a change you've made" platitude home. Far from it. But the right place is out there for you... just as this one may be for someone.

Archived