Need An Architect

TXvoodoo

Good Morning Folks,

I am looking for an architect that understands midcentury design to help design a house for me. I plan on building a house in Braeburn Valley that is completely retro, more than just 'influenced' by midcentury design. I want the house to blend in well with the 50's contemporary style homes that are so prevelant in the area. Also, my brother is a builder/developer and I am trying to convince him to do a small development featuring 1950's style mod homes in the range of 1200 to 1800 square feet. What's your take on this idea? Do you think there is a market for this idea? Is the current interest in these style homes just a fad? Suggestions? Opinions?

Jason

Good Morning Folks,

I am looking for an architect that understands midcentury design to help design a house for me. I plan on building a house in Braeburn Valley that is completely retro, more than just 'influenced' by midcentury design. I want the house to blend in well with the 50's contemporary style homes that are so prevelant in the area. Also, my brother is a builder/developer and I am trying to convince him to do a small development featuring 1950's style mod homes in the range of 1200 to 1800 square feet. What's your take on this idea? Do you think there is a market for this idea? Is the current interest in these style homes just a fad? Suggestions? Opinions?

Jason

I think finding someone to design your own house would be cool. Not sure about the development though...

My suggestion is find someone who was around then and still practicing to design your house. Here's a few names worth looking in to, but it does depend upon what you're looking for:

Preston Bolton

Irving R. Phillips/Wild Design (713-521-0112)

Richard Fitzgerald (713-961-3221)

Possibly Anderson Todd

Otherwise, I'd probably look at Stern & Bucek and Harrison Kornberg.

Definitely look at Frank Welch's work. He's out of Dallas, but has worked in Houston on several occasions, and has quite a resume. Bring money. http://www.frankwelch.com

If I ever have my own house designed and built, I've already decided it will be Mark Schatz and Anne Eamon to do it (m+a architecture 713-440-0083).

If you build a relationship with an architect, you can almost design the house yourself and then they will do the hard part, turning your ideas into a house.

I've heard from naysayers that the 50s can't be redone because of new building codes and that's why we're stuck with the cheap and easy tract homes as they are. But Mark and Anne just did a project that was some kind of contest to design a house for a lower income family at about the size you are describing. All I'd need to do is tweak with their ideas for my "dream house".

I'd also get ahold of some dwell mags, and search through the prefab manufacturers as well. There are some great ideas out there, and lots of them are flexible.

As far as Braeburn Valley goes, I've heard good and bad. If there was an already empty lot in Robindell, I don't think I'd have any problem building there. Are you thinking North of Braeswood or South? I've seen some nice houses just North of Braeswood and West of Fondren near the golf course. Is that where you're talking about?

As for a whole development of these kinds of economical houses, I'd be pleasantly surprised to find that happen in Houston. I've heard of it in other places though in Atomic Ranch.

Jason

I think finding someone to design your own house would be cool. Not sure about the development though...

My suggestion is find someone who was around then and still practicing to design your house. Here's a few names worth looking in to, but it does depend upon what you're looking for:

Preston Bolton

Irving R. Phillips/Wild Design (713-521-0112)

Richard Fitzgerald (713-961-3221)

Possibly Anderson Todd

Otherwise, I'd probably look at Stern & Bucek and Harrison Kornberg.

Definitely look at Frank Welch's work. He's out of Dallas, but has worked in Houston on several occasions, and has quite a resume. Bring money. http://www.frankwelch.com

Thanks for the input. Actually I already live in Braeburn valley in the Lucian Hood mod on Nairn Street. I have first dibs on a house facing the golf course that is a prime candidate for a tear down (not a mod). Elderly man, many cats, house in need of too much repair, so I think I can get it for less than 100K. I have talked with his son and he is interested in doing a deal. I love the neighborhood as there are only 97 homes and the golf course is a great buffer to much of the 'riff raff' in the area. I do understand that city code prevents the small narrow windows that you find on many mods, but I am not aware of other things they might prevent. What else do you know of that would be against code? Maybe I'll just have to move out to the county where there are no restictions or city code.......................

Jason

Thanks for the input. Actually I already live in Braeburn valley in the Lucian Hood mod on Nairn Street. I have first dibs on a house facing the golf course that is a prime candidate for a tear down (not a mod). Elderly man, many cats, house in need of too much repair, so I think I can get it for less than 100K. I have talked with his son and he is interested in doing a deal. I love the neighborhood as there are only 97 homes and the golf course is a great buffer to much of the 'riff raff' in the area. I do understand that city code prevents the small narrow windows that you find on many mods, but I am not aware of other things they might prevent. What else do you know of that would be against code? Maybe I'll just have to move out to the county where there are no restictions or city code.......................

Jason

You can have the narrow windows indicicate of mod design, but there must be egress routes as well. Just keep that in mind when designing.

• 5 weeks later...

I would like to hear more about your idea. ARe you thinking of the developement for low income family housing? Or are you just talking about a developement of some 1200 to 1800 sq ft homes for starter homes? I think that in today's market 1800 square feet homes are considered small and the market for them would be small. However, I do think there is a market for first time buyers that puts them in a close in neighborhood and is different that those 3 story boring structures - cookie cutter (townhomes) that are going up everywhere in the midtown, Camp logan and other close in areas. Those townhomes can sell once but they don't sell easily the second time. They are geared toward younger singles or couples with no kids. Just my take on it. As for Braeburn Valley - I have seen so many AWESOME homes that would be great redo's but I've been concerned about the area. It's good to hear that you love the area and are looking to build there.

i'm also in need of an architect that not only can draw the plans but also could give me innovative ideas about finishes. m +a are great they did my sister's house but unfortunately i think they're too busy so does anyone have any suggestions. it's a small project, not much you can do with the spaces available. the property that i bought is 6431 wister

http://www.harmls.com/default.aspx

Beautiful house. That link didn't work but I found it on har.

Have you seen the new Atomic Ranch magazine? Your house reminds me a little of Karen Lantz's. Her house is featured in the magazine. That might be a good place to start asking. http://www.enterarchitecture.com/

Jason

i will go check out the atomic ranch today and already left a message w/karen lantz. i'm just afraid it's such a small project that she might not do it. do you know if she's expensive?

i'm also in need of an architect that not only can draw the plans but also could give me innovative ideas about finishes. m +a are great they did my sister's house but unfortunately i think they're too busy so does anyone have any suggestions. it's a small project, not much you can do with the spaces available. the property that i bought is 6431 wister

http://www.harmls.com/default.aspx

Try Scott Strasser of Strasser Ragni. He might be your man.

Try Scott Strasser of Strasser Ragni. He might be your man.

I wish his website worked. I'd like to see some of his work.

Otherwise, wait on M+A. They're really good at the kind of thing you described.

any idea about nolo, intexture or royse/eagleton?

I've only heard of Intexure, and only because they did a fabulous house on Drexel that was on the AIA home tour this past year. I didn't get to see the interior, but it looks pretty incredible.

Good Morning Folks,

Jason

Good Morning Folks,

Jason

Jason:

Did you find an architect already. I would love to help you.

Let me know. I can send you a solid body of work examples that will align with your needs.

Good Morning Folks,

Jason

Jason:

Here is a link to some of the things I have done.

http://www.english-architects.com/ProjectFrameset-3.html

All projects listed under 'other' are mine.

Let me know if I can help.

Kennedy,

Welcome to the forum. I would love to see more houses like "Walters Southwest". What an interesting alternative to the houses currently going up in Meyerland etc... Great work! And I'm not usually a fan of recently built houses, even most of the moderns.

Would the current owners mind if you posted the address (if it's in Houston) so those interested can go see it?

Jason (but not the Jason who started this thread)

Jason:

Let me know if I can help.

Wow, your residences are incredible. If I can ever afford to build a house, I'm calling you. That's exactly what I like. The houses have a mid century feel even though they look very 21st century. They aren't pretentious like many new "modern" homes, IMO.

I'll echo Willowisp's question -- are these in Houston where we could drive by and take a look?

Archived