Houston Up Close

marc

HELP. I am looking for coffee table books which highlight Houston (or all of TX). I currently own TEXAS, A STATE OF MIND, but that was published in 1986. It has wonderful panoramas of major TX cities and countryside, but i am looking for anything current. Also, are there any novels you all can think of OR have read which highlight Houston as the major setting for the plot. There is one book i read A LONG time ago in which it was in the distant future (maybe about 500 yrs.) and Houston was the main setting for it. In fact, i remember the cover- it was like looking from DT Houston towards UT, only futurized! (not even a real word, but you know what i mean). Any help or hints you have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

m. B)

HELP. I am looking for coffee table books which highlight Houston (or all of TX). I currently own TEXAS, A STATE OF MIND, but that was published in 1986. It has wonderful panoramas of major TX cities and countryside, but i am looking for anything current. Also, are there any novels you all can think of OR have read which highlight Houston as the major setting for the plot. There is one book i read A LONG time ago in which it was in the distant future (maybe about 500 yrs.) and Houston was the main setting for it. In fact, i remember the cover- it was like looking from DT Houston towards UT, only futurized! (not even a real word, but you know what i mean). Any help or hints you have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

m. B)

For coffee table books highlighting Houston I would try any book store (barnes n noble, 1/2 price books, walden, etc.) or the Visitor's Center Downtown at City Hall.

Thanks for all of the replies. NO, i don't even drink coffee, BUT that is how those type of "picture" books are catagorized. I Googled, "picture books houston" and got several children's books........not what i am looking for at all. I KNOW i can check out B&N and Borders and have done so, and have come up with NADA. SO, i appeal to the masses for their experiences and knowledge. I have a book hightlight American cities which is pretty cool, BUT i must admit, i am perplexed with the lack of books highlighting American cities. I run into the same thing- NY, Chi-town, LA, Seattle, Atlanta and San Fran. It seems not too many others are high-lighted currently. I wish something like TimeLife would run a series of those type of pix. books maybe highlighting a different American city (to begin with) a month. I would definately buy them! If you all hear anything, please, keep me posted. Thanks again for all of the input.

m. B)

Thanks for all of the replies. NO, i don't even drink coffee, BUT that is how those type of "picture" books are catagorized. I Googled, "picture books houston" and got several children's books........not what i am looking for at all. I KNOW i can check out B&N and Borders and have done so, and have come up with NADA. SO, i appeal to the masses for their experiences and knowledge. I have a book hightlight American cities which is pretty cool, BUT i must admit, i am perplexed with the lack of books highlighting American cities. I run into the same thing- NY, Chi-town, LA, Seattle, Atlanta and San Fran. It seems not too many others are high-lighted currently. I wish something like TimeLife would run a series of those type of pix. books maybe highlighting a different American city (to begin with) a month. I would definately buy them! If you all hear anything, please, keep me posted. Thanks again for all of the input.

m. B)

Houston: Then and Now is a good coffee table book. Has a historic photos on the left pages and then current photos of the area on the facing page.