Lady In Northwest Houston Leaves Kids And Goes To Nigeria

VicMan

The whole story makes my skin crawl. If she had gone and had legitimate a mixup with a babysitter, yet the police had not found the house a squalid dump and that the kids had been left adequate food and water, I might... MIGHT... give her a little benefit of the doubt, and I'm sure the judge would have, too.

As it is, roaches and rotting fruit don't move in overnight, and babies don't run out of diapers in two days, so, yeah, she didn't appear to be mother of the year before she left for her trip. I hope she rots in jail for a very long time.

Figured with that sort of dirtbaggish behavior she was probably from New Orleans. How does a freakish (and apparently jobless) single-mother with 8 young kids afford to live in that home? Some sort of Federal relocation program? Mortgage scam?

I'm guessing that her rent was paid by the Disaster Housing Assistance Program FEMA set up for Katrina and Rita refugees. That program is now under HUD, and starting in March everybody getting rental assistance will start paying 50 dollars of their rent. That will increase 50 dollars a month until they're paying all their rent sometime next year.

HUD's making it clear that the refugees cannot count on this program going on forever. They will be expected to be working and paying their own way by the middle of next year.

That sounds all well and good, but you can take it to the bank that when that deadline gets close next year, they'll start crying to the usual suspects in Congress, the local media sob sisters will start whining about all these poor storm tossed refugees being mistreated and threatened with eviction by that mean old HUD, and the program will be continued indefinitely.

It WILL happen. Count on it. HUD -- and we the taxpayers -- will be supporting these New Orleans "storm victims" forever. These people had been on public assistance in Louisiana for generations, and they'll continue on public assistance here in Houston for even more generations. They won't go back to New Orleans because they've never had it so good.

• The title was changed to Lady In Northwest Houston Leaves Kids And Goes To Nigeria

Archived