Austin Sprawl?

skyphen

Have you ever walked the trails around Lady Bird Lake (Town Lake) in downtown Austin? Have you walked the newly improved Buffalo Bayou trails in Houston?

If you've done both, you might be able to answer your own question.

The new trail in Houston is a vast improvement with public art, creative lighting, pedestrian bridges, and even a canoe/kayak launch. However, the trail still feels like an afterthought since it takes you under multiple bridges, under a freeway, by surface parking lots, and by the backside of buildings and garages. It is clear that Houston put her back to the waterfront and is only now coming to terms with the possibility that doing so was a mistake.

Now, contrast that with Austin's Lady Bird Lake and trails. They are much more natural and beautiful. Sure, all of that is topography and the fact that the water is wider/cleaner. However, much if it has to do with the views that are available on that trail. You aren't left looking up at the ugly side of buildings, parking garages, and elevated roadways with roaring traffic noise overhead.

fixed.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uh, since when did I mention conservatives?

This isn't about conservatives vs. liberals. It's about holding people responsible for their choices.

Suburban dwellars have no right to decide what the cities they DO NOT RESIDE IN should look like. People in Round Rock, Georgetown, Pflugerville, Leander, and Marble Falls shouldn't be deciding what the roadways in Austin look like. They gave up that right when they took their property taxes outside of the city's limits. Of course, the same in reverse is true as well. People who live on South Congress in Austin shouldn't be demanding that they have easier access to the baseball stadium in Round Rock for example.

seriously???? how bout the fact that those "suburban dwellars" make up a very large portion of the work force inside the city that they DO NOT RESIDE IN.... places like round rock, georgetown, blah blah blah. yes, those are the exact people austin should NOT accomodate :rolleyes:

First Off I DID say some of the blame went to Austin, not just the State and Federal Governments. Austin did stop alot of the freeways being proposed and its a good thing they did. Had those freeways surrounded downtown studys have already come out stating that our downtown would be no where near as vibrant as it is today. The freeways would have acted as barriers and we probably would not be seeing any urban revival. So yea in the 50s and 60s Austin at first said no, but don't blame it all on Austin... The State and Federal governments has for more than 20 years givin the city scraps while the freeways of Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio continued to have their freeways built up. The City did ask for state and fedral money to expand I-35 and other areas in the 80's and again in the 90's and the city was TURNED DOWN... There has been a 10 year study of what to do with I-35 that has yet to really come out with any results and I have my doubts on if anything will be done anytime soon. Either way the city needs to change its thinking and work to further expand our alternate transportation needs.

Archived