Houston's Filthy Waterways

cnote

Buddy of mine works for HFD. He tells me most times after a good rain and the bayou levels rise, they get called out because of a dead body washes up. It is usually just east of DT along Buffalo Bayou. He mentioned it is more then likely a homeless person but sometimes it is a suicide.

Buddy of mine works for HFD. He tells me most times after a good rain and the bayou levels rise, they get called out because of a dead body washes up. It is usually just east of DT along Buffalo Bayou. He mentioned it is more then likely a homeless person but sometimes it is a suicide.

You'd have to be really desperate to kill yourself to jump in that filth. Isn't there an easier and cleaner way?

Niche seeks one or two partners for all-day kayak tour of Buffalo Bayou, putting in at Highway 6 and taking out at Wayside--yes, right across and just slightly downstream of the largest sewage treatment plant in the region so that yes, you will most certainly come into contact with the effluent. Date of voyage to be determined. First come, first serve.

Any takers?

One slot filled, one to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Besides the snakes and gators that live in the water is there much else? Maybe a few fish that can tolerate the contamination....maybe a few turtles.

They should just fix the water treatment plants and then hammer the bayou with some enzyme based chemical that pretty much kills all of the bacteria in the water.

Speaking of this, does anyone know what kind of contamination the Trinity River suffers from near the I-10 bridge east of Houston? I always do a catch and release of fish there but I am wondering if the water is nasty there as well.

Besides the snakes and gators that live in the water is there much else? Maybe a few fish that can tolerate the contamination....maybe a few turtles.

They should just fix the water treatment plants and then hammer the bayou with some enzyme based chemical that pretty much kills all of the bacteria in the water.

Speaking of this, does anyone know what kind of contamination the Trinity River suffers from near the I-10 bridge east of Houston? I always do a catch and release of fish there but I am wondering if the water is nasty there as well.

Umm, what do you think the snakes and gators live off of?.

Most bacteria aren't bad; many are beneficial. Kill all the bacteria and you kill an ecosystem. Actually, if we just fixed the most problematic WWTPs and did a better job with detention of storm water runoff, the bad bacteria would be filtered out pretty quickly through natural processes...which answers your other question...the Trinity may as well never have run through the DFW area by the time it empties into the bay system. Its certainly not pristine, but I'd suspect that its cleaner than most rivers to the west of it.

Archived