Cordell House Open Today

Scott08

The house being built in the 600 block of Cordell Street out of old shipping containers is having an "open house" kind of thing this afternoon at 4:00, the builder had an ad in last week's Chronicle Heights Neighborhood Edition. I haven't watched its progress closely but have ridden my bike by there a few times since it was started. I'm curious to what it looks like inside so plan on dropping by after work, be there around 4:45.

The house being built in the 600 block of Cordell Street out of old shipping containers is having an "open house" kind of thing this afternoon at 4:00, the builder had an ad in last week's Chronicle Heights Neighborhood Edition. I haven't watched its progress closely but have ridden my bike by there a few times since it was started. I'm curious to what it looks like inside so plan on dropping by after work, be there around 4:45.

Thx for posting this. Typical open house only lasts 2 hours, right?

Went to the Open House yesterday which was quite well attended, sorry I did not have a camera. It wasn't quite what I expected. Three large containers make up the perimeter of the main house, one the master bedroom/bath, one the kitchen, and the last one a small bedroom/bath/storage. The area in between them is enclosed as the main living space. Out back across a deck is another crate that will make up a studio/guest suite complete with its own full bath. My realtor and I talked with the Project Manager who said they were about 10 weeks into it, he hoped to have it completed in two more weeks, so about 90 days from start to finish. This was a spec house that was sold before construction commenced, I heard the price of $325K including the lot which in this area is probably worth at least $100K, square footage was around 1800 total. It is said to be very green and energy efficient. I liked it in general, it really helped motivate me to build my next house rather than buy something existing. The thing that polarizes me though is that for the concept to be worth doing, you must first like the look of it, which I do. Secondly, it needs to be cheaper and/or faster than conventional building to really shine and the jury's still out on that. From what the Project Manager told me, it will undoubtedly be faster, he estimates almost half the time of a conventional build. The price issue is kind of vague though, since this was their first residence, costs per square foot of structure only were kind of abstract. The company Numen Development says they will soon have some "stock" plans to give an idea of basic cost, then the sky's the limit on how you want it customized. Hopefully someone else who was there will have some photos to share.

Hi! Katie Nichols here. John Walker (the project manager mentioned) and I own Numen Development. We have had pictures start to roll in and I will try to post a link on this thread as soon as I can collate them. It may take a while as my free time is minimal due to the aggressive schedule to finish Cordell house in two weeks (and the holidays of course take some of that time)! We hope to hold at least one more open house before the owners take residence. It will most likely be the first weekend in January. We will also hold a larger event in several months. I will post both here.

Meanwhile, I am more than happy to answer any questions that folks may have. Please be patient with my response time!

We will also be updating the website throughout January so that it has more accurate info and detailed interior/exterior pictures of Cordell House.

Happy Holidays!

Kt.

p.s. Most of the interior walls are made with Medex. It is formaldahyde free, high moisture resistant MDF that does not off gas.

Were the interiors of the containers sheetrocked?

flipper

nevermind, I just read on their website that "no sheetrock" will be used on Cordell.

Archived