Plumbing Question -- Clogged Vent Pipe

nativehou

We sometimes have a horrible methane smell coming from one of our toilets. It happens periodically. Last week when I called to schedule a plumber, it smelled to high heaven. Since then, it doesn't smell at all. But once a month or so for a few days, it's bad.

I've been told it might be a clogged vent pipe. Several months ago I used our home warranty to have a plumber come out and tell me that my warranty "doesn't cover smells," whatever that means. We've been busy and haven't had anyone else come out to take a look at it. Until today -- and of course it doesn't smell now.

Does anyone have any experience with clogged vent pipes? Would it come and go like it does? Any ideas? I want this guy to really examine it and not just say there's no problem because it's not smelling now.

No experience with clogged vent pipse, but methane is an odorless gas. You can't smell methane.

It may be natural gas that you are smelling nativehou, companies usually add a smell to Methane in order to tell when it is present, and people (us laymen) call it Methane as it smells partially like the sulphuric gases that come out our bum bums.

Sewer gases smell foul. Native, you may have a stopped up vent but I would guess it's a bowl gasket that needs to be replaced instead. This is the wax ring that fits on the bottom side of your water closet (toilet). They usually cost no more that $5.00 at the hardware store. Get them to sell you a set of closet bots and a hand held hack saw, another $5.00 tops. You will most probably have to saw the old bots off, becuase they rust up quickly. Turn the water off at the wall stop valve, drain the tank and toilet, disconnect the tank an remove the toilet. Note: remove the tank top from the room, or you might accidently kick it over and break it. (trust me on this one). Clean what's left of the old wax up from the floor flange and the toilet ring.

Apply the new wax ring, place the new closet bolts into floor flange, place the toilet over the bolts and on the floor flange and then lean into it, twisting it slightly as you sit on it. Now tighten the nuts (plastic washers first) a little at a time. Do not overtighten. Cut the reamining bolts off and snap the plastic nut covers on. Repeat the process of re-installing the tank and unbroken lid.

Turn the water on.....................and check for leaks.

I bet this solves your smell. In any case it's worth a try.

BTW, you would be having slow draining fixtures if you indeed had a stopped up vent.

Good Luck

Plumber2

Sewer gases smell foul. Native, you may have a stopped up vent but I would guess it's a bowl gasket that needs to be replaced instead. This is the wax ring that fits on the bottom side of your water closet (toilet). They usually cost no more that $5.00 at the hardware store. Get them to sell you a set of closet bots and a hand held hack saw, another $5.00 tops. You will most probably have to saw the old bots off, becuase they rust up quickly. Turn the water off at the wall stop valve, drain the tank and toilet, disconnect the tank an remove the toilet. Note: remove the tank top from the room, or you might accidently kick it over and break it. (trust me on this one). Clean what's left of the old wax up from the floor flange and the toilet ring.

Apply the new wax ring, place the new closet bolts into floor flange, place the toilet over the bolts and on the floor flange and then lean into it, twisting it slightly as you sit on it. Now tighten the nuts (plastic washers first) a little at a time. Do not overtighten. Cut the reamining bolts off and snap the plastic nut covers on. Repeat the process of re-installing the tank and unbroken lid.

BTW, you would be having slow draining fixtures if you indeed had a stopped up vent.

Good Luck

Plumber2

OR............just hire THIS guy to come over and do the ring first before doing anything else. Use your HAIF resources !

Good Luck

Plumber2

^^^^^^^

What they said.

flipper

Well, the plumber said it wasn't a clogged vent pipe because the toilet works too well. And it's not a wax ring issue. Given the age of my house (almost 50 years) he thinks it might be a cracked pipe at the foundation. Joy. Apparently I need someone to perform a "smoke test" to see if there is indeed a crack. The test itself can run several hundred dollars -- he's trying to get my home warranty to pay, but he says they don't like to pay for serious stuff like that.

Well, we wanted to redo the bathroom at some point. May have to be sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the advice, all.

Archived