Looking To Move

qwerty

Hey everybody,

Looking to move in the near future and one thing that will determine my decision is that I have a nice sports car that I want in a garage, preferably a private attached garage but was thinking an underground complex garage might suffice if in a nice complex. Rooms and sqft is no big deal cause I'm living by myself as long as its comparable and not outrageous. But am also on a budget and wanted to be around or below the $1000 monthly mortgage. Would love to live in the Uptown or Westside Innerloop area but price seems kinda high, for the criteria I'm looking for. Need opinion on some of my choices that I thought over.

1. Westchase area. Specifically the Tanglewilde area, south of Richmond, east of Gessner, west of Fondren, north of Westpark Tollway. This is further out then what I want and not exactly my idea of a bachelor pad, but the prices and amenities (attached garage) of the properties here have what I want. So the tradeoff is price/amenities over desired location. Any thoughts of this area? Safety? Concerns? Resale value of area?

2. Greenway plaza area. Specifically near the Edwards Cinema location, along Cummins St. Location is better, but garage is an underground type where everybody gets an assigned spot, just afraid of people dinging my car, also flooding, heard those underground parking garages are susceptible to flooding. Also, there is a fire station north of one of the complexes, how loud are those and will it hurt resale value of units right behind station? So I'm basically trading amenities (no private garage) for location.

3. Rent at apartment complexes where they have units with attached private garages. Is there any in the Uptown or West InnerLoop that has that but around $1000/mo?

Questions, thoughts, ideas, concerns are all welcome.

Lots of townhomes are going up for lease because owners cant sell right now, but have moved for other reasons.

Do a search for $1400/month on HAR.com and see what you like. Im sure you can find a townhouse with a 1 car garage. Then negotiate with the agent/owner.

I was able to talk a $1450 asking price down to $1100/month with little negotiations.

You basically want to cover the owners costs and let them keep the house while the economy turns around.

Dont deal with apartment complexes, they dont have the same concerns as a single unit landlord does.

Uptown area: THe road,Bering, has a number of units that fit your needs to buy or lease. I can recommend 1112 and 1116 Bering (Berington Place). That was our first "home" and it was a nice and quiet complex with garages. I see on HAR.COM there are one or two for sale.

Good luck

Tanglewilde isn't the most desireable area for many buyers, so resale could be tough. Inner loop locations will likely only have covered parking or a parking garage (like Reata, for example). However, to get something for $1000/mo, you probably need to be <$80k with insurance, taxes and maintenance fees.

This is close to Tanglewilde, but a more desireable location: http://www.har.com/8830505. It is a foreclosure, so the price should be somewhat negotiable. Even still, with taxes and $156/mo maintenance fee, you are probably looking at $1100-1200/mo. However, I'd be happy to write a contract for you tonight...hehehe. ;)

Renting is a whole different scenario. You can negotiate on some leases but other landlords are tough and won't negotiate too much. They have costs to cover and don't want to be in the red month after month if they can help it. Mr. Chenevert seems to have worked a sweet deal.

Uptown area: THe road,Bering, has a number of units that fit your needs to buy or lease. I can recommend 1112 and 1116 Bering (Berington Place). That was our first "home" and it was a nice and quiet complex with garages. I see on HAR.COM there are one or two for sale.

Good luck

Both are pending, but they are too high for his $1000/mo budget anyway. The maintenance fee doesn't help at $324/mo!

By the way...my estimates in my previous post were based on 100% financing, as so many buyers are still without a down payment. Obviously a down payment can reduce the monthly obligation.

any opinions on my greenway plaza suggestion? I've talked to a couple of residents and they don't have problems yet with the underground garage.

Central location should be good for resale, not only for Greenway Plaza itself, but it's proximity to the Med Center, Galleria and Downtown. You could definitely hit your budgeted payment, including maintenance fees.

Anybody have any opinions about the area around Darrell Tully Stadium out on Dairy Ashford near I-10? Found some townhomes with 2 car garages in that area around 100k.

Tully area has some issues. However there are some great townhomes right on Memorial (wedged into Nottingham Forest) on the south side of Memorial that are good. We live just east of Kirkwood. Its a really nice great area and easy access to so much

However, I would recommend Hudson Oaks. Two on HAR.COm, but they are already pending. Really nice part of town, manned gate. No garages, but carports right behind the units. My BL kept a Mercedes and a BMW there and never had damage to it. Those units go fast, but they can be found under 100k, and there are often many for rent.

Thanks for all the advices, Hudson Oaks is indeed a nice area but the ones that are still on the market are out of my price range. I decided to go with the Greenway Plaza condo unit. My plan is to upgrade the the amenities inside and live there a year or 2 then maybe lease it out since its in a central location.

Now this opens up whole other topic of upgrading the material inside.

First the floor. It's a 696 sqft unit and my friend says hardwood is a better option then ceramic tiles in the living room for a small area. Or is a nice carpet like berber or frieze a good idea for the living room? Should I stay with carpet or go with the same material in the bedroom as in the living room?

Kitchen and bathroom countertops. I'm leaning towards silestone but open to suggestion.

Thanks for all the advices, Hudson Oaks is indeed a nice area but the ones that are still on the market are out of my price range. I decided to go with the Greenway Plaza condo unit. My plan is to upgrade the the amenities inside and live there a year or 2 then maybe lease it out since its in a central location.

Now this opens up whole other topic of upgrading the material inside.

First the floor. It's a 696 sqft unit and my friend says hardwood is a better option then ceramic tiles in the living room for a small area. Or is a nice carpet like berber or frieze a good idea for the living room? Should I stay with carpet or go with the same material in the bedroom as in the living room?

Kitchen and bathroom countertops. I'm leaning towards silestone but open to suggestion.

I would do hardwood in the living areas and bedroom. I would also do it in the kitchen, if that's an option. Tile in the bathroom.

Countertops in quartz (Silestone or similar) or granite. You can often find both for about the same price, so it's a personal preference.

These finishes should appeal to the masses and make it easier to sell/lease in the future.

I would do hardwood in the living areas and bedroom. I would also do it in the kitchen, if that's an option. Tile in the bathroom.

Countertops in quartz (Silestone or similar) or granite. You can often find both for about the same price, so it's a personal preference.

These finishes should appeal to the masses and make it easier to sell/lease in the future.

Is there a type/style/shade of hardwood that is easy to maintain, scratch resistant, or hides scratches real well? I imagine if I lease it out, scratches will inevitably come from the initial moving and everyday walking on it.

Is there a type/style/shade of hardwood that is easy to maintain, scratch resistant, or hides scratches real well? I imagine if I lease it out, scratches will inevitably come from the initial moving and everyday walking on it.

Sorry guys, I didn't see the section about home improvements.

We use "nutmeg" stain in our houses. It's rich, not too light, and not too dark. I've noticed that if we get a scratch I can just wipe out the scratch, put a light coat of polyurethane on it and it's really hard to notice.

For what it's worth 99% of our houses have red oak hardwoods.

flipper

We use "nutmeg" stain in our houses. It's rich, not too light, and not too dark. I've noticed that if we get a scratch I can just wipe out the scratch, put a light coat of polyurethane on it and it's really hard to notice.

For what it's worth 99% of our houses have red oak hardwoods.

flipper

The nutmeg stain is nice and very popular, so I agree that it would be an excellent choice.

As for woods, Brazilian Walnut is supposed to be one of the hardest, but you will probably pay more for it.

• The title was changed to Looking To Move