Fearless Critic Houston Restaurant Guide

Has anyone else seen this book? The copyright date is 2008, so apparently my copy came through a time vortex.

I picked it up because they gave a B+ to La Michoacana, but they seem to think all Collina's are the same. (They aren't, the one on Richmond is great, the others suck.) Also, they don't even mention Kam's (which has some of the best Chinese food in town.)

Overall, it's a fun read and full of places I haven't tried yet. They have a website that isn't functional yet at www.fearlesscritic.com.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought it yesterday and just finished reading it. It is a hilarious read with very informative opinions. They give very few high marks in the A thru B range so I'm going to try those resturants first. Highly recommend this book!

I'm making a list as I go through it and trying to hit all of the places that sound good. Today I had lunch at Himalaya: best chicken tikka masala I've ever had. Finding that place was worth the price of the book.

I'm making a list as I go through it and trying to hit all of the places that sound good. Today I had lunch at Himalaya: best chicken tikka masala I've ever had. Finding that place was worth the price of the book.

The only thing I've had there which was disappointing was the veggie samosa. I usually just rely on the luncheon special, $7.99 for 2 or 3 entree portions, basmati rice and a simple Pakistani salad. Chef Kayser always serves great stuff though it's sometimes difficult to communicate with the staff about what the dishes are called if you don't order something by name. Try the Chicken Biryani (skinless chicken pieces baked in a mountain of basmati rice with 11 or 12 different herbs and spices including red and green chiles), but bring a big appetite, the portion is very large.

I took a look at the book. Some reviews seem deliberately aimed at provoking disagreement and I couldn't believe they include some chains. 10000 + restaurants in Houston, they only review 400 and they include chains?

We have 2 very good newspaper reviewers and numerous local discussion venues to help find the good stuff so I passed on the book.

Edited by brucesw