Handicap Parking And Leashes On Kids

CyKat

Well, time for Cykat to vent............... again.

So I was dropping my son off at elementary school last week. A lady pulls into the handicap parking spot, lets her kid off and goes into the school too. We've all seen it. I recoginize her as a volunteer and I know for a fact that she isn't handicapped. I want to let her know that the spaces are there for people who NEED them and not for people "lucky" enough to get a sign to hang in their rearview mirror. I want to tell her that she's not setting a good example for the kids. I didn't, and I probably wont either. She'll have to figure it out for herself I guess.

And what about those leashes that people put on their kids? Aren't they illegal?

Call me a whiner if you want.

Cykat

Edited by CyKat

In a crowded place like a shopping mall with a kid who wants to run around a leash can be a lifesaver. Literally. The alternatives are carrying the kid, yelling at the kid a lot, or holding the kid's hand in a death grip. The leash is a lot better.

Well, time for Cykat to vent............... again.

And what about those leashes that people put on their kids? Aren't they illegal?

Call me a whiner if you want.

Cykay

Leashes for kids serve a couple of purposes. In public places such as malls, stores and streets, a leash keeps a small child close to the parent and away from situations which may be harmful. Knowing exactly where one's young child is at all times gives peace of mind to the parent, who may need to transact business while accompanied by the child. Many children have a short attention span and are unable to stay close to a parent whose immediate needs and interests are quite different from those of his/her offspring!

As one who has worked in a large retail establishment in the Galleria, I can tell you some horror stories about small children who escaped a parent's watchful eye. These include serious accidents on escalators, wandering children found in the mall by strangers, demolished displays of expensive merchandise, customers injured by running kids, and hysterical mothers who can't find a "lost" child.

A parent whose child always "minds" and stays at the parent's side in a public place is indeed fortunate. My contemporaries who were on leashes as children seem to have turned out okay - several of us have compared notes on this.

Edited by silverartfox

I put my two on leashes when they were little when we went to Disney. I was scared to death one of them would dart off into a crowd will I was messing with the other one. I've been known to sometimes make them sit and feed them cookies too. With the pre-teen and teens years, I've been tempted to look into shock collars.

Leashes are a great idea!! They use them in elementary schools when kids go on little field trips. An ingenious invention

Well, time for Cykat to vent............... again. So I was dropping my son off at elementary school last week. A lady pulls into the handicap parking spot, lets her kid off and goes into the school too. We've all seen it. I recoginize her as a volunteer and I know for a fact that she isn't handicapped. I want to let her know that the spaces are there for people who NEED them and not for people "lucky" enough to get a sign to hang in their rearview mirror. I want to tell her that she's not setting a good example for the kids. I didn't, and I probably wont either. She'll have to figure it out for herself I guess. And what about those leashes that people put on their kids? Aren't they illegal?Call me a whiner if you want.Cykay
Why didn't you tell her about the illegal handicap parking?

So I was dropping my son off at elementary school last week. A lady pulls into the handicap parking spot, lets her kid off and goes into the school too. We've all seen it. I recoginize her as a volunteer and I know for a fact that she isn't handicapped. I want to let her know that the spaces are there for people who NEED them and not for people "lucky" enough to get a sign to hang in their rearview mirror. I want to tell her that she's not setting a good example for the kids. I didn't, and I probably wont either. She'll have to figure it out for herself I guess.

She won't. It takes people like you to make a difference. Say something.

My Dad has been a part of the City of Houston VOLUNTEER PARKING ENFORCEMENT PROGRAM for the past two years. He has written hundreds of tickets. He does this several times a week...even before & after church! Great program for those retierees:

City of Houston Volunteer Parking Enforcement Program

Great program, and kudos to your Dad.

Wish they'd expand the program to ticketing scofflaws who insist on parking their cars across sidewalks :angry2:

I want to let her know that the spaces are there for people who NEED them and not for people "lucky" enough to get a sign to hang in their rearview mirror.

Did she have a rearview mirror tag? You don't say so, only mention it here. Those tags serve a purpose for those who have temporarily reduced mobility, which includes respiratory and neurological conditions that are not visible to the casual observer as well as the recovery period of many leg and foot injuries.