"soundproof" Windows

OK - I know there's no such thing. We live in Rice Miltary and although the neighborhood is great the freight-train noise is not so good. We have a new-ish home and I'm looking for ways to reduce the noise. We have the original builder-grade windows. Does anyone have suggestions for windows specifically designed to reduce noise or should I start with a thick acoustic insulating drape - similar to the ones they use in airport hotels?

Thanks in advance.

Just unplug the speakers from your compu.......errrrr.......never mind......

Seriously though, We have double pane windows and live on a main street and get very little outside noise. Don't know if you want to make that drastic of a change.

• 1 month later...

You will need to increase the STC (Sound Transmission Class) of your windows to over 40 to block most sound frequency above 125Hz to the high freq range, a single pain has poor STCbelow than 20, double pane has STC close to 29-32, a 10 STC unit increase is about 50% reduction in decibles. Check out the windows at www.milgard.com, this might be what you need. Also doing a double sheetrock with Green Glue in between will hel to dampens the low frequency being transmitted through the wall structure, although the weak link is the windows and doors.

Archived