• Channel 26 (FOX)
    • Channel 39 (CW)
  2. 2. Best Talent

• Channel 2 (NBC)
    • Channel 11 (CBS)
    • Channel 13 (ABC)
    • Channel 26 (FOX)
    • Channel 39 (CW)

Already on this forum, we have drawn comparisons between newscasts in regards to their material goods (graphics, sets, music) and political bias. Given those facts, why not focus on what a newscast is actually supposed to be about...

the content...what topics are covered, what stories are told...

the anchors...which anchors are the best suited at the job...

the viewpoints...do the reports take both sides or choose one or the other? AND...

the local relevance...do the stories covered have any meaning to Houston?

In other words, who has, in your opinion, the best newscast in the nation's 10th-largest TV market?

We are still in 20th century [& cheap] & don't have cable or dish. Ch. 2 does not come in well on our TV. Hubby likes Ch. 11 for Dr. Neil Frank's weaher. I wear hearing aids & voice tone is important to me. Men's voices are better understood for those hearing impaired, nothing against women [i'm one]. Marvin Zindler was quite easily understood [for me:)]. We do watch Ch. 26 @ 9 pm for headlines or depending what's on other stations. We're not big TV watchers, but Hubby loves football [i get on computer]. National News @ 5:30 we watch which ever station has a man newscaster &/or the station with the best spelled close caption. Closed caption spelling can be entertaining in itself:).

Closed caption spelling can be entertaining in itself

I sometimes watch TV with the closed captioning on so I don't wake up the wifey. It wasn't so bad before the feds changed the rules -- now you never know what you're going to get.

I think 13 is the worst. Dave Ward needs to find something else to do now along with Doug Brown. Their set is cheesy and old. Get with the times 13. Also there news is nothing but murders and robberies. I love the set for Channel 2 and the studio (being an intern there) is very cool and the people are hilarious. However, again, there news is nothing but murders. There is other stories in this town besides murders and robberies. Of course if you look at where the station is, you can see why. I like Channel 11's stories. I like hearing about development, improvements, fundraisers, news in the suburbs, ect... Channel 11 is best for that kind of news. Infact just last night they had a story about IAH. The headline was "Big Plans for an already Huge airport." However I don't care for their anchors, though I do like Greg Hurst, David Paul and Giff Neilson. Fox 26 overall (IMO) has the best news, set, and anchors.

I think 13 is the worst. Dave Ward needs to find something else to do now along with Doug Brown. Their set is cheesy and old. Get with the times 13. Also there news is nothing but murders and robberies. I love the set for Channel 2 and the studio (being an intern there) is very cool and the people are hilarious. However, again, there news is nothing but murders. There is other stories in this town besides murders and robberies. Of course if you look at where the station is, you can see why. I like Channel 11's stories. I like hearing about development, improvements, fundraisers, news in the suburbs, ect... Channel 11 is best for that kind of news. Infact just last night they had a story about IAH. The headline was "Big Plans for an already Huge airport." However I don't care for their anchors, though I do like Greg Hurst, David Paul and Giff Neilson. Fox 26 overall (IMO) has the best news, set, and anchors.

The only negative thing I can say about ABC 13 is their set, yeah they do need another one. Their newscasts are the most watched in the Houston Area. They have the best music and graphics. To have anchors and reporters there for 20-30+ years is a good thing. They feature other news other than robberies and murders.

The only negative thing I can say about ABC 13 is their set, yeah they do need another one. Their newscasts are the most watched in the Houston Area. They have the best music and graphics. To have anchors and reporters there for 20-30+ years is a good thing. They feature other news other than robberies and murders.

I think abc13 gets the highest rating because they get to count Bryan/College Station also. We don't get any of the other channels up here. And I think ABC13 is watched more here in Bryan/College Station then our own news stations.

Channel 11 hands down!! They have a good variety and what i like most are local stories about relevant issues concerning Houstonians . Channel 13 comes in 2nd . I would give Fox 26 a close 3rd.

Wouldn't surprise me. Channel 11 does a lot of different stories that are worth value, not the crime and junk stuff you see on other stations. I recall when our high school got bogged down for an all-night booze party my senior year, 11 was the only station that didn't air it, much like it almost never juiced about Ed Brandon in '89 (Steve Smith did a short segment and that was it, he left it to the courts where the story actually belonged).

I think abc13 gets the highest rating because they get to count Bryan/College Station also. We don't get any of the other channels up here. And I think ABC13 is watched more here in Bryan/College Station then our own news stations.

No, they don't get to count Bryan/College Station in their ratings. It doesn't work like that.

I would have to agree with editor. BCS is in the Waco TV market, and their CBS affiliate is a semi-sister of the Waco CBS station. The same goes for Lufkin whose ABC is based off of the Tyler affiliate and Victoria which has its own ABC, Fox and NBC stations.

The counties that comprise the Houston TV market:

Austin

Brazoria

Calhoun

Chambers

Colorado

Fort Bend

Grimes

Harris

Jackson

Liberty

Matagorda