Loft Apartments - Where to look?

Flamingyak

Hey guys, a quick question. A friend of mine is considering moving out of her house into a 3-bedroom Loft apartment sometime within the next year. Her price range is $300-350K. Do you know which areas would be best for a young(ish) hip newly single woman? With two fully-grown kids who will visit on occasion?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I'm just hoping I can get some guidance about where to look to find the best deals on (not new) lofts.

Edited by Flamingyak

Hey guys, a quick question. A friend of mine is considering moving out of her house into a 3-bedroom Loft apartment sometime within the next year. Her price range is $300-350K. Do you know which areas would be best for a young(ish) hip newly single woman? With two fully-grown kids who will visit on occasion?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I'm just hoping I can get some guidance about where to look to find the best deals on (not new) lofts.

By "not new", do you mean 'not built last year' or 'not fake lofts'?

That's an important distinction. Real lofts are limited to a fairly small area, pretty much downtown and the east downtown warehouse district (zip codes 77002 and 77003). Fake lofts can be had in many different neighborhoods.

Something your friend might try doing is to talk to commercial brokers and trying to find an old warehouse with grade-level loading docks that can be finished out to her liking. I think it could be done in her price range, and very nicely.

• Like 1

Going from a 3 bedroom to a loft can be quite a change. Here are some buildings that came to mind with 2 bedroom units under $350,000:

Rise Lofts (2000 Bagby) - rental conversion, very young/"hip" crowd...probably too much so for most "regular" folks

The Beaconsfield (1700 Main St) - high maintenance fee

Lofts on Post Oak (1900 Post Oak Blvd) - uptown location, rental conversion, reasonable maintenance fee

Bayou Lofts (915 Franklin) - popular historic building

Kirby Lofts (917 Main St) - no parking garage makes this building tough to sell

Tremont Tower (3311 Yupon St) - no. seriously.

The Stanford (505 Bastrop) - recent construction east of Minute Maid Park

If she wants a one bedroom unit, the options are even greater. There are other buildings available, but their 2-bedroom units tend to be in the high $300's to $500's.

Many people use the term "loft" to describe what should be called an apartment. The "Lofts on Post Oak" come to mind. I guess it's a marketing thing.

Reuther Homes has been very successful with their loft conversion of the old Nabisco Building downtown. It's called CityView Lofts. Search for Reuther Homes and then CityView under the communities tab.

Many people use the term "loft" to describe what should be called an apartment. The "Lofts on Post Oak" come to mind. I guess it's a marketing thing.

Reuther Homes has been very successful with their loft conversion of the old Nabisco Building downtown. It's called CityView Lofts. Search for Reuther Homes and then CityView under the communities tab.

I agree with your definition. However, it sounds like she would be OK with a loft or a "loft". She might not be as flexible after looking around and seeing the difference between the two. The charm of an old building is unmatched, but many buyers seek near-perfection, which is easier to find in a loft-like apartment in a newer building. Either way, there are options out there for her.

CityView fell into my "other buildings" comment. One bedrooms are mid $100's to mid $200's in MLS. The only 2 bedroom listed is $425,000 so I didn't mention the building. I love the building though and am glad that it's being made into lofts. I also omitted buildings that were considerably below her price range, such as the new Ellie Lofts on Hamilton.